WHO-WEEE! Snowshoes tomorrow (if only.... SECOND UPDATE @ BOTTOM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WHO-WEEE! Snowshoes tomorrow (if only.... SECOND UPDATE @ BOTTOM

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultWHO-WEEE! Snowshoes tomorrow (if only.... SECOND UPDATE @ BOTTOM

A couple years ago, I bought XC skis and snowshoes so Puff and I would be able to go out on our every morning walks in the nature preserve regardless of winter weather. I've used the cross country skis a couple times when we've had 4-6" of snow. Never yet had need to use the snowshoes BUT, in the Midwest plains, you never know when....

Today in Topeka, we've gotten 10-12" (25-30 cm) of new fluffy snow and it's not due to stop for another couple hours.

The problem is -- can my Honda Accord coupe make it through our local street -- or even out of our driveway, to the plowed streets to drive there?

Maybe we'll have to walk up and down our street, Puff with her "Musher's Secret" on her feet and me with my snowshoes on my paws, slinging her training dummy for her to retrieve from our local drifts?

That, followed by a next problem -- getting to choir practice before our 10:30 service.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: WHO-WEEE! Snowshoes tomorrow (if only....

Good luck Bob!

My Honda (accord) didn't fare so well in the snow last weekend. Although I probably asked too much of it, realistically. Hope you have better luck than me!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

georgie is offline Senior Member

Well even if the Honda can't make it, it sounds like you & Puff are ready for a nice walk in the snow.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Caseys Mom Guest

Have fun, Bob, and don't let Puff sit on the tails of your snowshoes!

I'm envious of the snowshoes! (But not the falling snow - we had 40 cm last weekend....and RAIN tomorrow, with the chance of a t-storm....ugh...)

Enjoy your walk!

Bev.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

We got a fresh snowfall here in Central Kansas last night. Nowhere near 10 or 12" tho. Maybe 4". It was incredibly windy and gusts up to 40 mph. So we spent most of the day inside. Tomorrow should be better tho.

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Wow! That's a hefty snowfall even for Kanasas!
    How did you work it out this morning?

Seamus and Flynn

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Heard about a 35 car pile up on I35 in KS this morning.

Why not get a sled and harness and have her pull the sled and you to the trail? ;D
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

The official depth of snow in Topeka was 9" but amounts were quite variable through the city. I measured a little over 10" on my driveway and sidewalk. We had no problem getting to the parking lot by the Felker sports complex where we start our walk but I did have to ram through a large snow furrow left by the plow blocking the entrance to the parking lot. Hope the nose of my Honda isn't bloody.

I was so excited about using my snowshoes (Tubb, Pinnacles) that I completely forgot to bring ski poles! It's so much easier snowshoeing with them than without them.

There wasn't as much snow at the nature preserve as at home -- probably more like 6" and my XC skis would have been the better choice but, oh, well, I needed the practice with the Tubbs.

It was a light, fluffy powder and all the branches and twigs were dusted to about a 4" depth. Pretty but then, every morning there has its own peculiar beauty -- that, and Puff"s demands is what keeps me going every morn.

Last century in Vermont, when I was a kid, our snowshoes had wooden frames that were so wide it felt like you'd acquired a hip disorder after walking with them any distance. These Tubbs are narrow enough so that they don't need a great deal of wide gait, thankfully, but I did cut down our usual 2+ mile walk to a little over 1 mile.

Puff had a blast and loved furiously digging through the snow, creating snow geysers every time, to find where her Training Dummy was buried after I slung it. She ran like her rubber band motor had been wound up with quadruple layers of knots. I was struck by the amount of untouched snow she left between briefly touching back down to earth when she was running -- it looked like an easy 6 feet or more. (Santa, if you ever need a backup for Rudolf,....)

Nance, it sure is good to see you posting again and to learn you've gotten power again. (I scanned O&E to see when you returned and your recovery.)

Tomorrow morning I'll try the Rossignol XC skis -- with ski poles. And by then at least a half dozen XC skiers will have broken trail and left tracks over our usual routes so it'll be much easier trekking. ;D

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

DefaultRe: WHO-WEEE! Snowshoes tomorrow (if only.... UPDATE @ BOTTOM

Sounds like it was a great time! Take a camera next time!!!

Bev.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast