PLEASE need some info on my mom's Lab

Thread: PLEASE need some info on my mom's Lab

mosmama is offline Senior Member

DefaultPLEASE need some info on my mom's Lab

My mom has a 6 yo female black lab. About a year ago she found a good size lump on one of her back legs. She asked the vet about it and they told her it was just a fatty lump and she didn't recommend doing anything with it unless it bothered her, Patty. Well Mom called me tonight and she found another one on her front leg, about the size of an egg. My mom says they don't seem to bother her at all, but I'm wondering what is causing them.

Does anyone have any ideas, suggestions or thoughts? I would really appreciate some info and so would my mom. Thank you so much!
    Mo
    May 17, 1998 - May 20, 2009

The Love of My Life
    Rest in peace my Sweet Chocolate
    I Love You and Miss You so much

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

LIMO

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: PLEASE need some info on my mom's Lab

Sounds like fatty lipomas, from what I hear they're pretty common in labs, and many get them around that age.

I'm sure if the vet's not concerned then it's nothing to worry about. She could probably ask them to run a few tests on it just to make sure and give herself some peice of mind.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

jlab Guest

You may want to post this in the Lab Health and Nutrition or the Holistic Health section to get responses from some of the experts that just hang out in those areas.

From my own experience with an older lab, when I first came across these lumps, I was very concerned and had the vet remove them. As my lab got older, I noticed that they become more numerous and some would come and go. The vet helped me understand which lumps were benign and which lumps were more of a concern and should be seen by the vet pretty quickly. If I remember correctly, the ones of concern were the hard lumps that seemed to be deep in the abdomen, in the mouth or near a joint. The fatty soft ones seemed to become more numerous with age and not too much of a concern.

So I would tend to agree with your Mom's vet on this although the ones I've seen were more the size of a quarter or less. If I saw one the size of an egg, I would probably have it removed because it would bother me to see something that size on my lab even if it didn't bother her. If you post in those other sections, I'm sure you'll get good responses from experts who are familiar with these.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Caseys Mom Guest

As Baloo said, they're most likely lipomas or fatty tumors. They're very common in labs especially as they get older. Unless they're somewhere that they bother the dog (like in the arm pit or one of my past labs had one at the corner of her mouth) you can usually just keep an eye on them and leave them alone. If your mom continues to be worried about them she can have her vet do a needle aspiration or biopsy to confirm the diagnosis.

Quick article:
    http://www.peteducation.com/article....&articleid=455
    or run a search on "lipoma + dogs" and you'll get lots of hits.

mosmama is offline Senior Member

Thank you for the info. I went ahead and posted it in the health section, also.
    Mo
    May 17, 1998 - May 20, 2009

The Love of My Life
    Rest in peace my Sweet Chocolate
    I Love You and Miss You so much

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

LIMO