my very first "real" post!

Thread: my very first "real" post!

Defaultmy very first "real" post!

hey there! long time lurker (think about a year now ;D ) here and i am wondering if you all can help me with something. i know i can wash dog bed covers but what about the beds themselves? it's not a cedar bed...some type of stuffing - it has been peed on and it obviously it soaked right through the cover into the bed and i would hate to lose another dog bed! :-\ so tell me, what do you guys do? ???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: my very first "real" post!

I have taken them outside and poured vinegar on them and hosed them down, then left them outside in the sun. When you take the cover off and wash it (and the bed itself) put the bed in a plastic garbage bag before you put it back in the cover. Helps protect it in the future.

now that is something i never would have thought of! a garbage bag! 8) but i can't hose things off outside - what if i run it through my front loading laundry machine with vinegar and then low heat dry in dryer? the outdoor temp right now is 20. i shall remember for summer though!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

I have a few cheaper beds that don't have separate liners that I toss in the washing machine. If the bed fits - wash it! I also have put the bed with liners in garbage bags before putting them back in the bed - especially if the liner somehow got chewed to pieces! (oh, and congrats on your first post - don't wait so long for your next one )

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

If it's too bad to clean, you can toss it and replace it with a piece of foam cut out from a foam (people) mattress topper to fit the dog bed cover. You can even make the foam 2 or 3 layers thick and yes, put it in a big garbage bag before putting it back in the cover. The eggcrate mattress toppers are available at department stores (WalMart K Mart, or you can get a piece at a craft or fabric store). I would hesitate to put the pad in a washer or drier for fear that the insides may come out and be a big mess to clean .

Gene Guest

All I can tell you is what DOESN"T work. Took my dog bed down to the local self serve car wash bay. Went through $5 in quarters, took it back home to dry in the sun. When it was dry it still smelled :P Bought a new dog bed!

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I usually just buy the cheapie dog beds from costco. I cover them with a blanket, so if they do get peed on or dirty any way usually it doesn't go through the blanket (If it does the cover catches it. )

But that way if I have to chuck an old bed it's not such a big deal.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

I've washed mine and while they aren't as lump free when done, after drying you can rearrange the fiber fill and you're good to go. The Garbage bag thing is a big plus!!