Labs and swimming?

Thread: Labs and swimming?

DefaultLabs and swimming?

When can you take a Lab in the pool or lake or whatever? I haven't ready anything on swimming anywhere and was curious. We have a pool (heated) and we live by the beach. We love the water and all surf (can't wait to put her on a surfboard one day).

Can anyone point me to something to read about Labs and swimming?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Labs and swimming?

Sounds like a labs dreamland! Swimming is what my girls absolutely go bonkers for!

Sorry I don't have any books or anything to direct you to, but I know labs like swimming!!!!

labby is offline Senior Member

Depends on the dog. Shanny was swimming at 9 weeks. Jake was like 7 or 8. Libby was older since she was born in September and had to wait until spring. Some take to it immediately and some do not. There is no set rule.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks. I think that we will wait a couple weeks until she is settled and then put her in the pool with us. I cannot wait to take her to the beach.

Labbies do love the water, but be sure to watch little Koda like a hawk. More labs drown every year than any other kind of dog and the young and old are the most at risk because they can exhaust quickly. Plus, you don't want a bad experience to start her off on the wrong foot. Unless you are in the water with her, don't allow her in for a while. I used to take Leo to the beach in FL when he was young and we swam together there, but he loved splashing in the waves on the beach much more at first. Now you can't keep him out of the water.

Sounds like Koda will have a great labby life.

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

We live near the beach too, only on the opposite coast! Breezy absolutely loves the beach. She'll go in the water but hasn't actually swam---yet. I didn't take her to the beach, or anywhere public, until she had all her puppy shots. I don't know about your beaches, but here I have to watch her like a hawk with all the stuff that washes up......especially fishing hooks. Many times they are hidden in big clumps of seaweed, so just be on the lookout. I will bet that your pup will like the beach; as far as swimming goes, you will just have to see. I know a couple of labs that don't like the water at all. But I know more that DO! If you let her in the pool, make sure you also teach her the way to get out, should she fall in by accident and you're not right there.

I plan on going in with her, kinda like when we taught Sydnee to swim Teaching her the safe spots etc,

I am for sure waiting on the beach for a few months until she has all her shots, plus the water is a bit chilly right now anyway. We have a few good dog beaches here we used to take our dog to years ago that I am sure she will enjoy when she is a little older.

Its so funny because I know we don't have her yet.......34 hours and counting......but I am already thinking of how much fun it will be to have 2 of them! I've got bitten by the Lab bug!

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Cool! I don't live near a beach but have been fortunate to have some good lakes close by.

I waited until Tal was 6 or 7 months old for several reasons. I certainly wanted him to have all his shots. Also, the fatigue thing with a very young puppy. At first he was tentative..splashed on the shore some but really didn't swim. It only took a second exposure tho. Since then, just try and keep him out of the water! Last, it was Sept. 1 when I brought him home at 7 weeks so I wanted the weather to be warm enough consistently.

One thing to be aware of, and where you guys will be probably will not be much of a problem. Once at the lake, Tal got into some goose poop before I could get to him to stop him. About a day later he had some serious dirrahea. Trip to the vet, a shot, 5 days of antibiotics and a few days rest and he was good as new. Ever since I police the area for goose poop and go to an area that has hardly any. Not an experience either of us would care to repeat!