Signatures
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Signatures

DefaultSignatures

In an effort to speed up page loading I have added a mod that will prevent signatures from being displayed multiple times in the same thread. Signatures will display on your first post in a thread but not in any subsequent posts. Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks to m771401 for the tip.

Daniel
    Site Admin

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

JollyMolly Guest

DefaultRe: Signatures

I'm not a fan of this idea. Signatures help us recognize the member posting. Threads can get REALLY long.
    Couldnt we just limit the size of the signatures to help the page load faster?

ON another note, I like to think of JL as a board that belongs to everyone. Cant we have a say as to the changes being made? How about a poll and discussion before a change?

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Sounds good to me. Although I'm also in favor of a size allowance on signatures. Some of them are just ridiculously huge.

Thanks!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

I too think it sounds good - I am on dial up and often ignore long threads (well I might anyhow) as I can't bear to load them all - or I finish reading long before I see any pics at all
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

sloigo is offline Senior Member

Other boards have this same feature & it works fine (along with the pics beng limited to certain size)...... for dial up users like me the HUGE siggies were SUCH a problem, I had to totally turn them off. If THIS would allow me to turn them on that would be GREAT!!!! As t is NOW I dont see ANY siggy including my own....which is one reason it has not changed in a long time. :-[
    Karen, Mom to the Lab Monkeys:
    Daisy DoBug YL 7 yr old
    Kiana YL 5/2006
    Piglet 4/2006 Lab @ Heart
    Liberty 7/2/2009
    **Bella Mia 5 yo (RIP~2/07)**
    *Molly Blu 2.5 yr old (RIP~7/06)*

LOLIN.ORG Saving one lab at a time.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I understand the issue. I kind of like the siggy's it does help us associate the post, but this may be necessary. I would also like to see a limit to the size (Kbytes) of the siggy's We had the issued raised about a month ago and so many adjusted their siggys to reduce the size. Kind of self policing, bt at least some recommendations would be nice that an offender could at least be referenced to visit.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

The "owner" of the board should be able to go in and change it so the sigs have a maxium size to them to keep them all smaller.

Glad I could assist.

The huge signatures; file size and resolution not only screw things up for the low bandwidth users but also disturbs message flow especially for those who have their monitors set to low resolutions. I'm on a 10m/bit connection and the load times can be a bear at times. I also have a 24" panel and with some of the sigs. I can only read maybe three posts at a time before I have to hit the scrollbar.

The nice thing about this particular code change is that still allows people to see signatures without turning them off completely. They only see the signature once per page view.

I only suggested the mod because it had a huge impact on my own forum.

For those on dial-up SMF has a nice mobile feature that will work in your browser. When I just want to read posts and quickly I use

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/index.php?wap2

You can also use

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/index.php?imode

Hopefully over time people will appreciate the change.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I like the change. Some threads have 4 pages but could really fit on 2 without all the signatures (but I do like seeing them on the user's first post so don't want to remove them completely as I realize we can do).
    Would be nice if people remembered it was a signature and not a photo album. Having two or three pictures one over the other makes it long to scroll over - so I am in favor of limiting size (both in pixels and actual lenght/height)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Beachboys is offline Senior Member

Sounds good to me. Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast