We have a house guest for the holidays (nlr)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We have a house guest for the holidays (nlr)

DefaultWe have a house guest for the holidays (nlr)

I posted yesterday about a stray dog that had wandered into my SUs shop a couple of weeks ago and has been adopted by the guys. Well guess who he brought home for dinner tonight? The shop is closed until Wed and he didn't want to leave her there alone. I told you his heart is melting.

She's very shy but really likes my SU. She wags her tail when she sees him and tries to follow him everywhere although at a distance. He left her in the garage with me and my daughter while he did something in the house and she was very happy when he returned.

She's very afraid of people. She keeps her tail tucked for the most part and will not approach you. She scatters if there is any noise such as a shuffle of a foot or throat clearing. My daughter and I stayed with her for several hours and she finally felt confident enough to "almost" approach us. She let us stretch our hands out to pet her but would not take food from our hand. We set up a crate with some blankets and left her in the garage with the crate door open so she could go in the yard but when she saw my SU come in the house, she found the doggy door and came into the laundry room so that's where she will stay tonight. Probably the first time she'll be warm in a long time. Murray and Essy will have to hold it since I haven't introduced them to her yet. They definitely know she is here though. Hooboy do they know.

I'm a little concerned about a stray dog in my yard/house since she hasn't had a vet check yet but I couldn't send her back to the shop. She doesn't have ticks or fleas and her coat and eyes look good. She isn't coughing, sneezing, itching or scratching so I'm hoping that she's fine. My SU said she has put on a lot of weight but you can still see her ribs. If she's put on "a lot of weight" I can only imagine how skinny she was after having pups. I still think about those little lost souls. :'(

She's a really nice dog. She looks pretty young but I haven't been able to get close enough to look at her teeth to really see the color/wear and tear. She looks very similar to a red & white smooth coat Border Collie. I'll try to get a picture of her tomorrow since it's almost midnight now. We've been kicking around ideas for names all night (Rosie, Lucy, Scarlet, Annie, Gypsy, etc). I couldn't believe that no one had named her yet. The 2 that my SU seems to like the best are Wendy and Cricket (love that name. I hope Molly doesn't mind). I heard SU go in the laundry room and try the names on her. I don't think he has officially made up his mind yet. All I know is anything has to be better than "here girl".

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: We have a house guest for the holidays (nlr)

Oh, good for you taking her in. I hope a little warmth, regular food, and kindness will get her to come out of her shell. Poor thing.
    Toby and Chamois say: GO STEELERS!
    [[IMG][/IMG]

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Aww, that is so sweet! I hope she gets a name soon, and learns that people are good. Give her time, and she will come around.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

Awwwww.... bless you AND your SU........ it sounds like she's had a really shitty past life..... poor thing...... I feed bad about her puppies too....... :'(

I'm glad she is finally getting what she deserves...... and warm place to sleep, a full belly and lots of luvins!

Melissa
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

Kate3jays is offline Senior Member

AAawww, i'm all welled up with tears over here, i'm so glad she found your family, how sad about her past life, goodness knows what she has been though.

I like the names you are pondering over, Jed, my pup, his Momma was named Wendy and she was a pretty and gentle girl-

"some days you are the dog, some days you are the tree!"
    Kate mom to Jed Jasmine and Joelly
    http://www.glosmerelabradors.co.uk/#

rottnlab dad is offline Senior Member

That's so nice of your family to take her in.

Bella

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

I vote for Cricket too. Can't wait to see pics of her.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

Aww, thank you so much for taking her in. It is always nice to have a place to go for the Holidays.

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

She is officially Cricket. ;D

She's so exhausted. Last night while she was in the garage and we were trying to figure out what to do with her, she just sat looking at all of us, trying to keep her eyes open until she couldn't do it anymore and collapsed on the floor. She was still not really asleep though because her ears were twitching with every sound.

She slept in the warm laundry room last night. I woke up early to feed the dogs while everyone else was sleeping. When I opened the laundry room door to go in she looked up at me from her blankets and wagged her tail. ;D She let me hold the food bowl today so she is getting a little more confident.

Meghan and I went training with the dogs this morning. When we came back we just sat in the laundry room with Cricket to let her get used to us. She was very timid at first but she finally let us pet her and really liked when I scratched under her neck. Her poor sleepy little eyes started closing again and she actually snuggled up to me and went to sleep on my arm. She was sleeping very heavily and even slightly snoring. ;D

I hope a few days of a schedule of regular feedings and loving will help her come around. I still have to get a picture. It's hard to get a picture inside the cramped laundry room.

Aw, your last update brought tears to my eyes. She sounds so lovely, I like the part where she fell asleep on your arm. Poor little girl.
    Thanks for taking her in.

Bev.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast