What is a normal delay for a message to be answered
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is a normal delay for a message to be answered

LabsLand is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhat is a normal delay for a message to be answered

How was your experience when you decided to buy a show quality dog from a well known breeder? ???

I went to some (over 30) websites based on what I read in google search results, specialty groups, AKC websites, breeder referrrals websites, ersults from previous events, etc.

Once in their websites, after browsing about their breeding lines, show results, history of their breeding programs and tons of beautiful pictures, I go to the puppies section and I send them an e-mail.

I sent messages to 8 breeders in the last couple of weeks. Those were breeders who seem to be pretty active in conformation shows and several Chamipionship titles in their puppies' pedigrees.

Just 2 answers. :-\

One is in Florida, and the breeders seems to very nice, she was very responsive and gave me lots of suggestions. The type of person I would like to deal with, even if we don't do business in the short term. However I am concern about bringing a puppy in a long flight, so after thinking better, I decided to reduce my search geo-criteria to breeders who are within a driving distance (up to 5 hrs) so I can go and meet them, and go and bring him with me in my car. (I would probably have to invite a friend to help me holding him during the flight). ( I had sent her the e-mail before I realized it would be probably better to find a more "local" breeder. Not only for the distance to pick up the puppy, but I think I want to be closer to the breeder so I can get more hints where and how to work on my puppy's abilities to compete in the show ring.

I am skipping those who seem to be "Christmas Specials", especially based on most comments I have read here in the last couple of days.

My question is what do you think can be considered to be a reasonable delay in returning my messages?

I understand it may be the season, litters, children on vacation, but 3 weeks seems to be a long time if you ask visitors to your website to contact you via e-mail. ???

I don´t want to be a pest, but why posting your e-mail address if after 3 weeks you don´t reply to messages of interested visitors?

I put some time reading, browsing, searching their pedigrees (and by that I mean just doing a search to get to read about their ancestors breeders, news, results in shows, etc), I responded to their questionnaires, and I added a personal introduction telling me why I think they should pick me. I am telling them that I want a mentor and that I am not in a rush...

Wouldn't you expect at least two lines saying: "No. You are nobody we would like to deal with", or "your spelling is awfull", or "please don't contact us again", or simply "we are busy", or "let's talk at the end of February" ....

I thought serious breeders are not prone to hand out show potential puppies if the buyer seems to be purchasing a dog as an impulse of the holidays.... Maybe because I said I want to know them too and that I am not in a rush...... Was that it??

Anyway.... I am sorry. I don't want to sound like a complainer. I am just venting. Maybe I am way too excited and I should just find something else to do while finding a better way to get in contact to other breeders. At least the finding of this forum has kept me busy and I have learned a lot, I think.

I have enjoyed so many stories here from people in the process of planning to buy a dog, then telling us about their contact with the breeders, the preparation, the expecting period, the arrival, the repeated questions to ake sure they are doing the right thing, the very supportive and warm bunch of lab lovers who just stop by to congratulate the new dad or new mam, and the situations go on and on with the accident in the carpet, or the biting, and later the adolescent years, etc.

I want that all. So far I am just enjoying the idea of having my puppy, and am so mucho more aware of all that is involved in the whole process, and still I feel a little grin in my face while I am driving when I think about something I read here or the simple odea of playing with my puppy at home when I get him.

Anyway..

Share with me, please, how the process of contacting the right breeder work for you especially if you were on of the "I want a show quality / conformation show dog" new dad/mam.

Thank you.

PD.
    I also sent a reply to a PM here couple of days ago and didn't get any answer. Is it my internet conection, and maybe i will get all the replies as a Christmas present by the tree????

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: What is a normal delay for a message to be answered

I know of someone who waited years to get a show quality puppy.

I don't know what to tell you, but just wanted to point out that sometimes people are really busy around this time of year. If it's not something really pressing, they could just put you on the backburner so to speak. I know I probably would, not to be rude, but just because there was a kazillion other things going on.

Also, I'm sure most breeders get a quantity of emails from people looking for show quality dogs, etc, and who knows, maybe after a while just auto-delete everything.

From what I understand, it's not so much you deciding to buy a show quality puppy, it's them deciding who to sell it to, if they sell it at all. Cracking into the dog world can take a long time. Also, if people are activie in conformation shows and the like, and have multiple dogs, who knows if they are on the road and way to busy to reply at all right now.

Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

I kind of understand that. But then why ask visitors to your website if you are going to be available to answer messages?

We'll see. They are not the top breeders in Potomac events, so I will continue trying other breeders.

This seems more about "Clicking" and answering with the right answers. Some suggested to get to know breeders, going to shows, etc. I will try that too.

Being approved and accepted seems to be part of our daily lifes, and sometimes the criteria used for that selection doesn't seem too clear... it is pretty subjective.... anyway... it will happen what is meant to happen and at the right moment.

Thanks for your reply.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

As the majority of the people tried to suggest in your other thread, emails saying "i want to buy a show quality dog" are probably not going to get answered. If you know the person through obedience/agility/Lab club, etc- then they may talk to you about it, but random emails about show quality pups are likely not going to get answered. Just because they provide an email address does not mean that they are obligated to answer.

Quote Originally Posted by LuvLabsToo

Being approved and accepted seems to be part of our daily lifes, and sometimes the criteria used for that selection doesn't seem too clear... it is pretty subjective....
    You need to join the lab club in your area- http://www.thelabradorclub.com/clubs/clubs_bystate.php
    Meet the breeders there. Learn about their pedigrees, why they choose the dogs to breed that they did, etc. THEN you broach the topic of getting your puppy.

Going to shows, proving you have done something recently with your current dog(s) and are active currently in the LAB breed is the criteria.

I
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbys mom
    As the majority of the people tried to suggest in your other thread, emails saying "i want to buy a show quality dog" are probably not going to get answered.
    I agree with this statement. Too many breeders have been contacted by people who want to hijack their lines, breed labradoodles, start puppy mills with an AKC dog with CH parents, etc. Even if you are the model co-owner (and believe me you would pretty much have to co-own to start with), most breeders plan to keep their show quality pups, give them to other breeder friends, or place them into established show homes. Many breeders would read your e-mail and get turned off by it because the truth is that many lab puppies with Champions up and down their pedigrees don't turn out and it is hard to explain that to people who are so gung-ho about showing.

Go to a show or two. Talk to a breeder face to face, or call them.

When I first got Leo I called my breeder, we interviewed each other, then we met and hit it off. I told her that I wanted a well bred pet first and foremost and that I may be open to showing him (with her approval) if he turned out. It's much easier for reputable breeders to place their puppies with show potential into homes they already know and find true pet homes for the others.

In addition to all of the very sound advice given already, may I add my experience? Jake was purchased as a PET, but comes from a Show Breeder. I researched and found a Breeder that I really loved. I too wanted to be able to drive to visit and pick him up, so I chose one in my home state of California. I emailed her, she replied fairly quickly, I would say no more than a week. I explained that my intentions were to purchase a Pet Puppy and got on her waiting list. I waited 6 months for Jake to be born. She had a waiting list and there were people wanting Males before me. Being that she does not breed in *volume*, I had to wait for another litter and hope and pray they had enough boys to go around. She offered to return my deposit if I did not want to wait any longer. I said absolutely not, I will wait, we are in this together. I waited and you know, I am so happy I did. I have the EXACT dog I wanted. I do not show Jake, but he is a well bred dog. I guess my point is, I even waited for the right Pet dog, so please be patient. You will find your match.

Thanks Gabby's Mom.
    Going to shows, proving you have done something recently with your current dog(s) and are active currently in the LAB breed is the criteria.
    It's much easier for reputable breeders to place their puppies with show potential into homes they already know and find true pet homes for the others.
    What about those of us who don't currently have a dog? I guess everybody had to start somewhere...As many have suggested I will start going to shows and try to introduce myself. The worst that can happen is that I will have a gerat couple of days watching dogs and taking pictures.
    Maybe I am not outgoing enough and hate to prove myself all the time to others who may have preconceived ideas. But I understand. I understand this is not like selling a car or an object. You want to make sure the puppy ends up in the right home. And if you have invested energy, time, money and tears into bringing together great, healthy and who have planned what they want to preserve in their breeding lines, you want to make sure those who get your puppies carry on with the legacy. After all they are going to share your name. Believe me. I understand and I want to be able to be in a co-ownership partnership with people who are respectful and are willing to help my dog and I to develop our potentials.

PAGE:

Many breeders would read your e-mail and get turned off by it because the truth is that many lab puppies with Champions up and down their pedigrees don't turn out and it is hard to explain that to people who are so gung-ho about showing.
    I agree. I think I did not have a good start. I am so used to fast replies. I work in Real Estate, and I am so used to fast responses, that I got a bit too frustrated, especially after spending so many hours reading all the happy succesful stories here.
    I have so many questions, and try to find similar posts here.

I don't mind not having a champion. I want to share with him training, I want him to be healthy as long as he can and in order to accomplish that I would think that by making sure at least 2 generations back he is coming from dogs with all the health certificates (hipe, elbow, eyes). I know the structure I like the best, and even if he ends up not matching exactly that expected preferred look, he will be equally loved. I am not exactly a GQ magazine cover, so why demanding of him to be the most beautiful dog. As I have learned, breeding is not an exact science. You play with probabilitues and what you try to do is to reduce statistically measured probability of the occurrence of health issues. You want to maximize the probabilities of bringing to the future those qualities and characteristics that seem to be as close as possible to what the standards dictate, even if that depends on personal preferences and experience from those judging him.

I guess the point is to get a healthy puppy who comes from healthy ancestors, within the standards of the brees, with fenotype as close as the one that I already I like.
    A breeder willing to take me as his/her mentoree, who is willing to guide me in the process and be able to show if the breeder thinks he ends up showing the qualities that breeder want to show as part of his breeding program. Even if that means to only compete with him as a young puppy, assuming later on he turns out not to be Champion material.
    The time and energy I will put into this puppy will be the same even if he is a rescue dog, so why not wanting the best?

Anyway. Thanks for your kind words and your very appreciated words of advice.

CHOCO4ME:
    have the EXACT dog I wanted. I do not show Jake, but he is a well bred dog. I guess my point is, I even waited for the right Pet dog, so please be patient. You will find your match.
    Thanks so much for your words. Maybe it is the Christmas spirit and the cold weather. Spring and Summer would be so much better for him to start discovering the outdoors. I am not sure I want to wait that long. I need to wait on that anxiety, I guess.

I should've probably posted the message as:

"HOW DID YOU GET YOUR FIRST SHOW-QUALITY DOG?".

Thank you all!

Lab Dad is offline Senior Member

GabbysMom offered some very good advice. Becoming active in your local Lab Club and going to shows will be a win-win for you. You will gain from the experience and breeders will get to know you.

With a litter on the ground, a waiting list and if they have school age kids, it is very possible they are just too busy right now with the holidays.
    LD

The fact that you emailed 8 breeders says that you're not sure what you want. Also keep in mind that breeders talk to each other....if a couple of them in a group of friends got the same email, they all delete.

As others have mentioned, go to shows in your area. If you've found one breeder (through their website) that you're really drawn to, you can email them and explain that you're drwn to their dogs and would love to know a show they'll be at in the near future so you could possibly meet them in person. While at the shows, get a catelog and make note of which dogs you particularly like and try to talk to those handlers after they're done showing.

Once you found someone you click with, then talk to them about possibly getting a puppy. Your best bet is to start with a male and do as much as you can with him.

Good luck!

Be prepared to co-own the dog. That seems to be the trend nowadays.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast