Rescue adoption application and what to expect???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rescue adoption application and what to expect???

jan elaine Guest

DefaultRescue adoption application and what to expect???

Has anyone here gone through the adoption process? I fell in love with a lab from a rescue organization I found online and filled out an application. I have already called my vet who said they would be glad to give me a reference. Anyway the organization said they would try to call the vet next week and if that went well then they would call me in for an interview. My questions are:
    1-Since I live 3 hours away will that be held against me?
    2- And do they try to match up personalities according to the application answers or do they let you meet with the dog you are interested in?
    3- Also, how long does the whole interview process and decision making take?

Can you tell I am nervous? I keep thinking about what answers I put down and if any were wrong! :I know that everything happens for a reason but I still feel like she is mine already. She is 1-2 yrs. old and yellow and has such a sweet, "I'm about to do something naughty face". Ha ha. (wheres the camera?!)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Rescue adoption application and what to expect???

Remember that most people that are doing rescue work are volunteers and have fulltime jobs...also with the holidays....that's probably why the delay. They will check to make sure your other pets have had proper vaccinations and that you've given them proper treatment. They may or may not want a home visit; sometimes they will contact a rescue close by where you live to help them out. You should get to meet with the dog and see how your personalities mesh. The group I work with allows out of state adoptions, but you do need to have any other pets meet with the rescue pup to see how they get along as well. Here is hoping you have a new joyful addition for your new year!

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

I adopted Reggie from a rescue. I can't remember how long it took (maybe a few weeks?). They came for a home visit. When I applied for a specific dog, that dog was already adopted. Based on their home visit, I asked them to select dogs for me and send me their info. They decided that I would need a submissive easygoing dog since I already had two and Ranger tends to be dominant over other dogs. They were excellent in picking out Reggie. He's outgoing, yet yields to Ranger. They couldn't have gotten it better.

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

It depends on the rescue, and I agree that part of the delay is probably the holiday season. Most do want to do a home visit, so being 3 hours away will complicate things a bit - hopefully they can find someone else closer by that can represent their interests and go for them. If not, there may be a work-around option as well, perhaps the vet could not only be a reference but could do the home visit for them? I'm sure that as long as you're understanding about their concerns and willing to work to accommodate them, there won't be any major problems. Good luck, I hope your rescue girl is everything you hope for and she finds her forever home with you soon.

When we adopted Chamois, the situation was a little different than yours - she (and her littermates and mom) had to be pulled from a shelter at short notice and we really didn't have enough foster homes available at that time in the rescue program. Mark and I did occasional volunteer work for the rescue including transports, so I got him to agree to foster a pup since it was a semi-emergency situation for them, and we also went to do the transport to the vet clinic where the others would be boarded until their foster homes could pick them up. Naturally, Chamois was fostered for about 5 nanoseconds before we realized she would of course stay as part of the family. So by the time I filled out the official adoption forms, she was already living with us. I do know that normally STLRR insists on a home visit for both potential foster homes and adoptive homes, but that they are willing to occasionally make exceptions if there is another way they can get the information they need to be sure the dog will be going to a good safe place.
    Toby and Chamois say: GO STEELERS!
    [[IMG][/IMG]

jan elaine Guest

Thank you all so much for your replies! I guess I am just anxious and patience is NOT one of my virtues. : There are actually about three different dogs I would be interested in meeting with but the one just calls to me. So I'm going to start cleaning the house right now in case they do a home visit! ;D Seriously. It may actually take me a week to get it clean.( Our two sons live with us!)
    Thanks again everyone!

My last 2 labs came from rescue. LRR in The Washington, D.C. area does not adopt dogs out the month of December since they do not want dogs given as gifts. My experience with them was: Lost my last lab the middle of December and knew I would get another as soon as possible. Filled out application and mailed it in December. I was pretty open as to color, age, sex. Just wanted a dog with personality. They contacted me for a home inspection which was interesting. The couple brought their lab and he basically did the inspection. LOL. At that point I was contacted and a date was set in January to visit dogs. I spent an entire day and put about 100 miles on my car looking at all sorts of labs. Nellie was the last dog I saw and it was love at first sight. As it turns out, the rescue had predetermined that Nellie was the dog for me. They have an uncanny knack for pairing dogs and people.
    Good luck.

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

Jan Elaine,

I went through the rescue adoption process in 2005 when I adopted Lexi from L4R. For me to go from application to getting Lexi was approximately one month. The last step being the home visit.

I don't see any reason why how far you live making a difference. Alot of rescues help each other out & will do home visits for other rescue when one does not have a person in the area. We just had a request to do one for a bulldog rescue.

You can ask the rescue to reccomend some dogs, but you can also check their available dogs and see which ones you like. If the dog is living with a foster family, you may be able to go visit the dog. In my case I could not because Lexi came to me from a shelter in Lake Charles, LA. I know I took a risk by not meeting her before I adopted, but she is a terrific dog.

My pretty girl, Lexi!

Quote Originally Posted by jan elaine
    I keep thinking about what answers I put down and if any were wrong!
    There are no wrong answers as long as you were truthful.

I adopted Murray 4 yrs ago. He had been in rescue for awhile but had only been with the foster mom for 24 hrs (had been boarded at the vet previously due to health issues). Foster mom did the home inspection and she brought Murray with her so it was 2 for one (inspection and meet the prospective adoptee). The rescue has a 24 hr waiting period. That was much harder than the rest of the process. We didn't want to let her take Murray back home with her.

They are all very different.
    One I called, said I'd need to fill out a online app, bring it for interview.
    4 pgs. Went to see the one I was interested. I said, "Okay, here's the check, how long before I hear anything?" They looked puzzled and said, "Don't you want to take him with you?"

Anouther, 3 pg. waite 2 weeks, called, they said they figured I lost interest and already gone.

Anouther, 3 pg., visit. said they contact vet and local animal control. May take 3-7 days. Had dog on 3rd day.

My daughter worked at one locally. You visit, make application, and if you don't call twice in 2 weeks it goes into dead pile because you're not serious enough. Even at that, they don't start processing until 2 weeks after initial meet. Expected time from these "folks" ussually runs 4-6 weeks before you get to take it home (unless someone was on the string ahead of you, and they'll not mention that.

So they are all different around here. Including the cost which can run from $10.00 to $650.00!!! (I'm convinced some are glorified pet shops in disguise.)
    This is Rhode Island / Ct. / Mass. area

Hi Jan Elaine,
    I have done several home visits for a couple of different rescues. It's best to be approved by the rescue before you get your heart set on a dog because by the time the home visit is done the dog may have already have gone. Whether or not the three hour difference is going to be a factor it is different from group to group. If the person doing the home visit is any good they are going to be an advocate for the dog. They should be asking themselves, "If I leave a dog here is it going to be safe, happy, is this home going to be his last home?" The home visits I have done usually take a couple of hours.
    good luck
    Olie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast