Need Advice - Unsure what to do next (health)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Advice - Unsure what to do next (health)

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultNeed Advice - Unsure what to do next (health)

Rocky was on a bland diet since his latest bout of diarrhea two weeks ago (the 7th). Went into the vet on that Tuesday (the 11th) to get things checked adn he was put on metronidazole for 5 days (every 12 hrs). He remained on the bland diet. Around Tuesday I started integrating kibble back on the diet (so that is 3 days after completing the prescription). Did it half and half until Friday am when I went back fully on kibble.

His stool was analysed - high levels of white blood cells, likely colitis (irritation/inflamation of the bowels)

The diarrhea is gone. left by the Wednesday (the 12th). But I don't LIKE his current poops. Big. Slimy almost (just not the darker type I was used to on Orijen). I called the vet who said to put him BACK on a bland diet for two weeks, then take TWO WEEKS to reintroduce the kibble. Seeing as it's a problem with his intestines he needs a longer switch over.

I'm all for taking my time switching but i've about HAD IT with the rice and beef. It's long, expensive and a pain in the rear as I'll be traveling. Rocky is always scavenging when he's on a bland diet (more-so than usual, it's insane).

Any opinions? Do as the all mighty vet says? of course they have a bland diet available for purchase to make it easier :
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lablover is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Need Advice - Unsure what to do next (health)

Nutmeg was sick a few weeks ago and this is what I ended up doing. Two summers ago I had 3 weeks of diarrhea from some infection. The doctors would only let me eat what they called the BRAT diet ... bananas, rice, applesauce & toast. So I started Nutmeg on some rice and a few pieces of plain toast. She would eat small meals 4 times a day. She would get a small spoon of applesauce once and a while along with some pumpkin. I also stated to add some pasta along with boiled chicken breast. After about a week I started adding just a few piece of her dried food each time. I did take 2 weeks plus to get her back on her normal diet. We have had no problems since then. *crossing fingers*

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Sorry I don't have any advice. Just hoping that his poops get back to normal soon!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

If you tell the vet you are traveling, you usually can buy Science I/D (canned). I use it instead of rice/chicken bland stuff because the dogs hate my cooking >

It's not cheap but it's a lot easier.

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

Give him some probiotics. The Metronidazole has killed the bad bacteria in his gut, but it also killed the good stuff along with it. You can find probiotics in the refrigerated section of your local health food store. If you don't have access to a health food store you can buy either plain Dannon yogurt or plain Stoneyfield yogurt and feed that. I would give a couple of tablespoons with meals (or as a treat). Either of those yogurts has active cultures of good bacteria that will help restore the natural balance to the gut.

Probiotics are great as part of your dog's daily diet and I feed them daily all the time, but they are especially important after using antibiotics.

Oh Tanya. *sigh*

I do understand the quest for nice poops.

When I feed bland, I usually feed MediCal Gastro formula... always have ever since Henery was young. I believe it's chicken and rice based. I think at our vet it's something around $2/can?

Agree also with giving Rocky probiotics... I also give daily, and use the SISU brand, Dophilus Plus. You can get it at RCSS or Loblaws in the organic section.

Here's hoping that Santa brings Rocky firm and nice poopies!!

Anne is offline Senior Member

Poor Rocky...poor you!

Murphy, Riley, and Piper

Karolyn is offline Senior Member

I have also done the Medical Gastro and has always helped harlee(she also has stomach issues)

The new vet did tell me instead of rice you could use Macaroni? I never did it but she said its the same thing? I do not know if this is correct, just relaying the information she passed to me.

I'm so sorry he's still having problems! We just went through 2 weeks of this with Jonah (the first time I switched him back after a week he went right back to diarrhea as well). I did a combo of chicken/rice/potato and canned I/D for another week (I think it was around $1 can). I had the cans for a backup, as more than once I would go to get the chicken/rice out of the fridge (I made 2 days worth at a time) and my DH had taken it for lunch at work! But you could use them if you were traveling. Another 2 weeks of purely bland does seem like a long time. My vet wanted me to stay on purely bland longer than the week we did the 2nd time as well, but I too was sick of it! And Jonah was losing weight on it as well, so I started the switch slowly after a week again.

Jonah had poops exactly like you described, big slimy, lighter (he's on Orijen puppy) once we started the switch the 2nd time. I went slower the 2nd time with the switch. After a few days the poops finally started to harden up and get closer to normal. This whole thing started at the beginning of December, and we are just now close to getting these more normal poops, but they are not the way they were a month ago, hoping it's just taking awhile (he went through this when he was a pup and it took over a month to get more normal poops).

How long did Rocky have the big slimy poops? Jonah was about 5 days after putting him back on the kibble completely before they slowly started to go back to normal. And again, they still aren't as hard and dark as they were before; but at least I can pick them up most of the time now, and that just started in the last few days (I was having to hose down every other one until 2 days ago). Were you still in the process of switching or had you just finished when you were seeing those slimy poops?

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Thanks everyone - poop wasn't too bad today!

So is the recommendation that I use probiotics and stay on dog food? or to go to bland?

and yeah - my vet has a "bland diet" for sale as well - i forget what the name is. might be easier than making it myself but i'm sure the price is just as high
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast