Walking 2 dogs for newbies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Walking 2 dogs for newbies

Ender's Dad is offline Member

DefaultWalking 2 dogs for newbies

Getting bored at work and excited and anxious for the 2nd pup. What do you all use to walk to dogs at the same time? Two separate leashes? Special dual-leashes, etc? Tips? Tricks?

Cheers

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

nicole is offline Senior Member

Before you even think about walking two dogs together, you have to make sure they each walk nicely on leash by themselves. Then, to answer your question, I use two seperate leashes. I tried a coupler, but unless you do some very specific stay training, you'll have a dog being pulled around while it's trying to poop.

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Two leashes, otherwise guaranteed when one wants to sniff the other wants to run. Takes some getting used to, be prepared to spin in circles, issue desperate "heel" commands to Ender, and generally look silly for a few days.

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Dad is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by YellowJakesMom View Post
    generally look silly for a few days.
    I do that on my own...thanks though

I figured two leashes is the way to go, but I saw a contraption the other day that had two german shepherds on one leash. Guess I'll be taking double the walks for the first couple weeks.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Definitely two leashes, especially at first. Couplers and all that are ok when A: dogs know each other very well and B: dogs walk quite well. Otherwise it's unfair as when one goes sniff here the other is dragged. And you have no control over the dogs separetly.

as mentionned above, it's good to walk the new one seperately some of the time both to train and to build your bond. With my fosters I admitted do not do enough of this, but do work on their leash walking skills. Trust me, even when you think your dog walks well you quickly see how even innocent sniffs that were easy to redirect with just that one dog become a problem when you have a second dog.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

Two DIFFERENT COLORED leashes (so you know who's is who's at a glance) and two trained dogs. If one is untrained, its a fiasco and can be very stressful. Once you get that down, you should get 3, then 4...
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

Mocha is offline Senior Member

I see many people walk 2 dogs and they are always on separate leashes. I did spot this one guy that had his dog on a combo leash and it looked like it was on some kind of retractable leash so it didn't pull the other dog. I think it was homemade. Kind of interesting.
    To err is human, to forgive, canine.

Samson is offline Senior Member

I walk mine on seperate leashes ! I still have issues with Dylan pulling on the way out even after training ! NOt a problem in the summer but one slight fall of snow................

Tanya is offline Senior Member

oh I also wanted to mention - Personally I prefer having one dog on a shorter leash (4ft). Rocky gets the 6ft leash though it's often rolled up (so it is abit less than that). I have never tried different colors that isn't a bad idea at all! Only I love my leather leashes (best on the hands)

two 6ft leashes is a pain in the butt to handle!
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

bacatherine is offline Senior Member

Two leashes for sure I walk mine both on the same side as they tend to do better that way. I use 6' leashes but I could definatly see how using different lengths would be nice because it's hard keeping the extra leash out of the way some times. You'll have to figure out what works best for you and the dogs. Good luck

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast