meet our houseguest, Lucy
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: meet our houseguest, Lucy

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

Defaultmeet our houseguest, Lucy

Well, we have a visitor. Meet Lucy.

She's about a year and a half old, and is half yellow lab and half something else, possibly Libyan desert dog. She was initially adopted by our drilling manager (her two sisters, Lyra and Luna, were adopted by other expats here), but when she was offered another job in Australia, she couldn't take Lucy with her, so another expat here has adopted her. She's had a pretty rough life, actually. She's got a gimpy front leg from escaping during a move and running in front of a car and getting hit. Apparently, the vet thought the leg might have to be amputated, but it actually set reasonably well, and she does limp, but she has pretty good use of it. This happened when she was with her first owner before we moved here in July, so I don't really know the details beyond that. But it's also pretty clear that, while not neglected, she hasn't really gotten all that much attention. She doesn't have much training at all.

She now belongs to another of our colleagues here, who has just left for at least a month, possibly more, combination holiday and then some technical training courses the company is sending him on. So we agreed to take her for at least a month, she does have the offer of another place to stay starting on Jan. 21, but we'll see. Until then, she's with us. So training begins!

She does get along very well with Toby and Chamois, and clearly, she never has seen a cat before in her life. But she's fundamentally very sweet natured and she wants to please. In three days, we've made a lot of progress. She's stopped chasing the cats, and the barking has diminished a lot. She's definitely a barker. She and our pups play a lot, and have worn themselves out, so night times are getting quieter (the first night was kind of bad). I'm pretty sure she knew "sit" before, but probably didn't hear it a lot. But between treats and the examples Toby and Chamois set, I've got her very solid on sit, and we're making rapid progress towards down and shake. Stay will be next. She's very bright. I want to make sure that while she's here with us, at least, she gets the attention she deserves.

And as you can see, she's trying very hard to make friends with the cats. I think she'll fit in just fine.
    Toby and Chamois say: GO STEELERS!
    [[IMG][/IMG]

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Gene Guest

DefaultRe: meet our houseguest, Lucy

Lucy is beautiful Looks like she is enjoying her stay!

Katies Mom is offline Senior Member

Wow is she pretty. Enjoy your time with her. That is so sweet.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

What a sweetie!!!

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

Awww! she is cute. She looks as if she is settling right in. She is going to have a great time these next few months with Toby, Chamois and the kitties...she won't want to leave!

that is just fantastic that you are willing to doggie sit for a month !!! Lucy looks very sweet and I'm sure she will learn alot while visiting !!!

budbud is offline Senior Member

Wow what a wonderful Christmas present for you and her she is very pretty

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Better be careful! Lucy might decide to stay longer than you have agreed to. Good for you putting forth the effort to bring her in line though. Others would give up in the first hour.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Awww..what a cutie I'm glad you were able to take her in and give her some attention.

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

Yes, Ed. I know she might stay longer. Her owner will be gone for more than a month. So it's just a matter of whether she stays here for the duration of his absence or goes to another house where she's already been offered space. The first night (constant barking), I was thinking Jan. 21 couldn't come soon enough when our colleague with the space on offer gets back from her vacation. But now I'm thinking that I won't mind if she stays here for the whole time, it might be better for her than going to another place partway through. We'll see. I know Mark is afraid we'll get "stuck" with her permanently, but I'm finding that I'm not too disturbed however it turns out.

As you can see, she's already very comfortable here.
    Toby and Chamois say: GO STEELERS!
    [[IMG][/IMG]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast