spay timing

Thread: spay timing

Defaultspay timing

I've got a question about spaying. A stray dog wandered into my SU's shop which is located in the middle of the Sonoran desert, literally (illegals cross thru here all the time on the way to Phx so Border Patrol is always running up and down the shop fence line). She definitely had pups somewhere at some point because she was heavy with milk. It's been a couple of weeks now and she keeps coming around more and more so the guys at the shop have unofficially adopted her and have been feeding her. They haven't seen any pups (most likely they froze to death or were eaten by coyotes :'( ) and her milk has since dried up. My SU asked when they would be able to get her spayed. I wasn't sure. I know you usually wait until the middle of a heat cycle but I wasn't sure how long to wait after giving birth.

You have to understand how much this touched my heart. My SU is not an animal lover by any stretch of the imagination. He tolerates animals because he knows how much I love them. The fact that he is allowing this dog to stay and actually wants to spend money to get her spayed says a lot. FWIW, a few years ago he allowed a stray kitten to stay at the shop and had him neutered as well. He's now the official shop cat. Maybe that heart is melting...just a little.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: spay timing

I'm not sure of the answer to your question, just wanted to say that I am touched by the story - give a big ((((((Hug))))))) to your husband for letting this girl into his heart. Just call your vet and ask them about the spay time. I know that I wondered about when to spay Emilu when I decided to do it, but in the end I just made the appointment and had it done.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Sometimes men don't show or express their feelings. Has to do with old world model and the guy's view of self. Pay more attention to actions when he is alone and not protecting his masculinity and you find the real guy, (good or bad).

Ask a vet, or wait for one on the breeders to pop in here. You'll get and answer.

So what has the shop dog been named?
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Cinder4evr is offline Senior Member

My understanding is to have it done a week or so after the heat cycle is complete, as the surgery is less bloody at that point. But I don't think I would wait until a heat cysle and then weeks after it. I think I would just have it done now and be sure

georgie is offline Senior Member

I don't have an answer. I just wanted to say that is so nice of your DH to take care of her.

Quote Originally Posted by Endofile
    So what has the shop dog been named?
    I was so stunned that I forgot to ask. The cat is Max.