Dr. Jon - Once a day will keep the Vet away

Thread: Dr. Jon - Once a day will keep the Vet away

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultDr. Jon - Once a day will keep the Vet away

Everyone has heard the saying - "an Apple a Day Keeps the Doctor Away", but have you ever thought about what can you do to keep the vet away? Preventative care is just as important for pets as it is for people.

Fortunately there are many things that you can do to keep your dog healthy and away from extra trips to the veterinarian.

Here are some tips:

* Use flea control products to prevent fleas.

* Feed a good quality dog food. Make sure it is AAFCO Approved.

* If you live in a heartworm endemic area, make sure your dog is on heartworm prevention! This is an easy disease to prevent and a difficult one to treat.

* Keep your dog on a leash or in a fenced in yard. This will help to prevent many bite wounds, toxin ingestion and accidents commonly seen in veterinary emergency clinics.

* Observe for problems every day - make sure your dog is eating, drinking and eliminating normally. Early diagnosis and help prevent more severe problems.

* Use you hands to touch/feel and look at your dog every day - notice any abnormal growth or tumors as well as signs of weight loss.

* Dedicate 10 to 20 minutes to exercise time with your dog every day. He will be both happier and healthier.

Follow through with a little preventative care along with an annual checkup and you will find yourself spending a little less time in the veterinarian's office. Your dog will surely appreciate you for it.

Until next time...

Dr. Jon
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Dr. Jon - Once a day will keep the Vet away

Good advice.

I think if HK could talk, she'd be telling you she also needs an apple a day! ;D (I love that photo of her munching on an apple, it's priceless!)

Bev.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slappy McCracken
    I think if HK could talk, she'd be telling you she also needs an apple a day! ;D (I love that photo of her munching on an apple, it's priceless!)

Bev.
    Me too! It is my desktop image on the office computer. I host a lot of meetings and use my laptop for presentations. It always gets a lot of commentary from the 6-20 people present.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Good advice...and when you think about it just common sense!