Looking for a new Lab
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a new Lab

DefaultLooking for a new Lab

Hello everyone. We are looking for a sister for our Buddy, a 5 year old male Lab. We were going to purchase a new puppy but decided that we would like to give a homeless Lab a loving home. Our Buddy lives in the house, sleeps in our bed, goes to work with us and is our furry son. We would like to find an adult yellow female, housebroken and good with children and other dogs. I have tried working with rescue sites but they don't seem to return phone calls or answer e-mails. The few that have called back say that we live too far from their service area. We are located about 20 minutes South of Fresno CA. If anyone has any info about how we could find a sister for Buddy please let me know. She would be welcomed into a loving home where she would be as spoiled as our Buddy. By the way, we could supply as many letters of reference as needed. Everyone in our community knows Buddy. People stop by our office to visit with him and the kids at school look forward to seeing him when we pick up the grandchildren.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Looking for a new Lab

have you looked on petfinder.com?

jan elaine Guest

Maybe the rescue places aren't replying because they don't like the holiday adoptions. ??? Although I certainly would think they would at least give you a call back. Have you tried asking your vet? Also try animal control or the humane society in your area as they both work with rescue organizations as well. They might could give you the cell # of the rescue president. :-\

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I'm afraid i'm bad with geography but here is some info on California rescues (scroll down - there are quite a few rescues listed)

http://www.cc-labrescue.org/links.html

Keep in mind rescue's are quite busy and run by volunteers - it can take awhile to get back to you. Even more so with the holidays. Maybe those in rescue have better suggestions on how you should get in touch with them (as in, what to do when you do'nt get a responce). I think calling is always better than e-mail if numbers are given (or do both)

ETA - check all breed rescue's as well, they have labs there as well sometimes

http://www.arf-fresno.com/
    http://muttcats.com/shelters/california.htm
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

My Nellie is a rescue. A lot of rescues can be pretty secretive before you are accepted to adopt. Mine was because the founder was attacked at her home by someone whom she had turned down. Also remember that many rescues do not adopt out dogs during the month of December because they do not want pets given as gifts. Call your local animal shelter, they should have the names of local rescue groups. Also many times good vets will have the names of rescues in your area.
    Good luck.

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Good luck in your search. Many rescues take a bit to get back to you just because they are fully volenteer staffed so there isn't someone there all the time. As others mentioned this is a bad time too with the holidays. Hopefully the new year will bring you a new fur baby. I would also check local Humane Socities or Aniamal Control they often have full blooded labs given up because a family had a new baby or someone was allergic : some are house trained and everything so it can't hurt to look.

Just to add my twenty cents worth ....

I'm partial to the Pyrenees/Lab mix, Sweetie. My Rocket's best play buddy is a Pyrenees/Golden Retriever Mix, and his personality is one of the best I've ever seen. Opie is the greatest dog (second only to Rocket).

Good luck with your search.

I have to say, I had alot of problems with our local lab rescue. I first contacted them and they have phone screen->home visit->breeder visit-> dog which they say can take several months to work through. They lost my paperwork after I completed the phone screen. I thought quite surprising that for some reason I had not passed the phone screen, and in my ignorance/naivety at the time, went to a BYB. I got a call after several weeks after I got my new lab pup that my paperwork was lost in the process, and they wanted to do a home visit.

I've since volunteered to be a foster via this same local lab rescue, and after an initial email from the director saying she would put me in touch with the foster director...i've received ZERO response. And i've VOLUNTEERED to foster!

I've been very frustrated with my local lab rescue. While i may be ranting, my point is, i've since become involved in my local HOA on a volunteer basis and I now can really see the demands as a volunteer between 1) volunteer duties and b) work obligations and c) the rest of your life obligations. Give them a chance to work with you, but I would also suggest following up with them after the very end and ensuring you get some kind of actual answer from them, and don't make any assumptions as I did.

There are plenty of loving labs out there that would love a welcoming home, and I'm sure the rescue people are working to the best of their abilities to balance all the obligations. I applaud you for pursuing a rescue, and please keep on them till you get an answer before you would look at other options.

Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast