Dog Vasectomy's????
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog Vasectomy's????

DefaultDog Vasectomy's????

Just thinking about Dakota's neutering last week..(he's doing fine), and wondering..why dogs can't have vasectomy's..is it the hormone issue? Meaning..a male dog would still want to mate..as opposed to a neutered dog that doesn't have those hormones anymore!
    Jackie

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

meandclint is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Dog Vasectomy's????

? Why would you want your dog to still "want to mate"? Neutering takes away that urge along with some other unwanted behaviors that full levels of testosterone can cause such as frequent marking, wandering, and sometimes aggression issues.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Dogs can have vasectomies.

People are starting to do it more because there's been some research into the negative effects of neutering. This way your dog is sterile (no chance of reproducing) but you're not completely removing the testosterone therefore avoiding the negative health effects that some feel are connected with neutering. It's an option I'm keeping on the table for Baloo, depending on many many things.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

meandclint is offline Senior Member

I recommend neutering at 18 - 24 months of age. That way you decrease the risks of certain cancers and orthopedic issues by allowing the boy to fully mature yet you can still reap the benefits of having a neutered boy. I would not recommend a vasectomy. If you are thinking of that route then simply keep him intact - you can be responsible enough - it's not like he will break through a window to grab a hold of some Poodle in heat in your front yard! :P

Cinder4evr is offline Senior Member

Many years ago I had a large mixed breed dog that had a non descended testicle that had grown against his bladder. In order to neuter him the vet decided to do a vasectomy and remove the descended testicle. End result was a sterile dog, and he had no aggression issues.

WigWag..this was a rhetorical question..I was wondering if vasectomy's were an option for dogs..I've already had Dakota neutered, he was a little over a year. It was purely enquiring minds want to know. I was just curious.
    Jackie

Quote Originally Posted by WigWag
    ? Why would you want your dog to still "want to mate"? Neutering takes away that urge along with some other unwanted behaviors that full levels of testosterone can cause such as frequent marking, wandering, and sometimes aggression issues.

Now I feel bad that I didn't research this before neutering Dakota..damn!!!!!! thanks Baloo..
    Jackie

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    Dogs can have vasectomies.

People are starting to do it more because there's been some research into the negative effects of neutering. This way your dog is sterile (no chance of reproducing) but you're not completely removing the testosterone therefore avoiding the negative health effects that some feel are connected with neutering. It's an option I'm keeping on the table for Baloo, depending on many many things.

I wish I'd thought of this earlier. I wanted to be responsible..and my greatest fear was a female in heat in our area..and Dakota jumping a fence and us losing him. If we get another male..in the future..I may research vasectomy further. Thanks for replying..
    Jackie

Quote Originally Posted by Cinder4evr
    Many years ago I had a large mixed breed dog that had a non descended testicle that had grown against his bladder. In order to neuter him the vet decided to do a vasectomy and remove the descended testicle. End result was a sterile dog, and he had no aggression issues.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Don't feel bad! It's definitely not common, and I've only heard of it becoming practiced in the last little while. More than likely I'll wait until Baloo is around 2 and just have him neutered (I'm paranoid so I'm going to wait as long as I can. :P) Because I want to do all sorts of things with him and don't want him to be constantly "distracted", if you know what I mean. I'll only consider the vasectomy route if he continues to show zero sexual behaviour (not likely) and I don't want his testicles removed.

Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Shoot..I feel even worse..I thought over a year old to neuter them was a good time. He was a year on Nov30th..and I had it done last Tuesday, a week ago this past Tuesday. I figured it was best to do it before any bad habits started. I have an older almost 15 year old female and the last few weeks..he'd started having a LOT of interest in her back end..if you get my drift..but never tried to mount her. I thought this would be the time. Now I wish I'd waited till he was a bit older. What is the consensus on waiting till they are over 1 year old? Healthwise I mean..is 1 year+ still ok??? Years ago..we did it much earlier..not knowing what I know now..via the internet and groups like this.
    Jackie

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    Don't feel bad! It's definitely not common, and I've only heard of it becoming practiced in the last little while. More than likely I'll wait until Baloo is around 2 and just have him neutered (I'm paranoid so I'm going to wait as long as I can. :P) Because I want to do all sorts of things with him and don't want him to be constantly "distracted", if you know what I mean. I'll only consider the vasectomy route if he continues to show zero sexual behaviour (not likely) and I don't want his testicles removed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast