Jenica's little brother to be and a question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jenica's little brother to be and a question

DefaultJenica's little brother to be and a question

Our new little guy will finally be coming home this Saturday.
    Last Saturday we went to the breeder to play with the puppies and, together with the breeder, pick him out of the three black males that were in the litter. He is really a cutie, we can't wait to bring him home. The puppies were so much fun, they played for about thirty minutes and then they crashed and had a nice nap.

What we are not sure of, is if we should take Jenica with us when we pick the puppy up (about a two hour drive away), or if we should leave her at home and she meets the puppy there for the first time. What have you done with your dog when you added a puppy to the family?

So, without much further talk, here are two pictures of the little guy.

Looking cute:

And chewing on my fingers.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Jenica's little brother to be and a question

I've never been in your situation so I'm not sure but I think I would leave Jenica home.
    Congratulations.

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

EEEEEE!! Gabi!! Congrats!! and omgosh, he's soooo cute!!! I left Yeller at home when I went to get Abby, but introduced them in the front yard.

Can't wait to see more pics of him!! You are gonna have so much fun!!
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Opinion from a novice that has never done this.

I don't know what you would be driving, or how the dogs would be contained. I suspect pup would be in someones arms the whole trip home, leaving older dog left out. Don't think that would be a good idea. I would leave older dog home, and introduce them in the back yard before bringing pup in the house.

I am sure you will get lots of opinions on how to handle initial few weeks with both dogs, but I would not leave them alone together out of reach for a single second for at least the first two weeks until you are sure there will be no aggression on the older dogs part. I did have an experience with this and in a split instant the wrong thing happened and the pup spent 24 hours with the emergency vet and was in serious condition. The older dog was/is as gentle as any lab I have ever known, but something happened and the result was unfortunate. The two dogs are best friends today. Just be careful for the first few weeks. VERY careful. Paranoid careful.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Gabi!!! He is BEAUTIFUL!!! Congratulations!!!!

I would leave Jenica at home as well. We left Peanut at home and introduced her and Baloo down the street a bit before bringing them back home together. But Peanut can be wary/nervous around new dogs, especially puppies, so we were extra cautious with her. If we only had Baloo and were introducing a new puppy I'd just introduce them in the front or backyard. As long as Jenica is fine with other dogs (and from what I saw I'd say she is!!) I'm sure it will go smoothly.

Congrats again, and be sure to post lots more pics when the little guy gets home!! (Have you decided on a name??) ;D
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

I would not recommend bringing the older dog along on the trip. The car is too confining for them to get acquainted. I also agree that the two should be carefully monitored. A puppy can and will drive an older dog nuts until the older dog asserts a bit of discipline. I received Duke when he was seven months old because the five year old dog in his original family turned aggressive and sent Duke to the ER. I am sure it was because Duke drove him to it.
    As for the trip be careful where you stop for breaks as parvo seems to lurk everywhere.
    What I have mentioned are indeed worst case scenarios so don't worry. Just be vigilant in observing your older dogs body language and actions toward the new pup.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Leave Jenica home. When you get the pup home, decide where you are going to introduce them (back yard, front yard, whatever) and first have the puppy there and then you can let Jenica out to meet the puppy.

When we brought home Maddy, then a few years later Grace, we always had the puppy in the back yard first, to get used to the surroundings, with the older dogs watching from the sliding glass door. We gave it about 10 minutes, and then let the adult dogs out. They greeted the puppy and then went on with their normal routine...wanting to play or potty out there.

As long as Jenica is socialized and likes other dogs already, there should be no issues whatsoever.

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

What a cutie. We left our older dog at home when we got Harper. Introduced them outside and let them get to know each other.

Everyone, thank you so much for your feedback. This is what we were tending towards, but I wanted to make sure that we were on the right track. We will have to see where we let them meet, as back yard and front yard are covered in over a foot of snow, but we will work something out.

We will definitely keep a close eye on the two, make sure that Jenica does not feel neglected and also give her the freedom to have her own space when the puppy is a bit too much, which I am sure he will be sometimes. But thanks everyone for bringing all this up. This is the first time that we have two dogs (Jenica was our first dog for both of us).

We are not totally sure on the name yet, but most likely he will be called Diesel.

Oh, what a cutie pie; congratulations!! Jenica will be a great big sister.
    No advice on bringing the new little guy home, I bet you can't wait!!
    (Thanks for including pics & not leaving us hanging!!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast