NLR - Newfoundland Question - AJ or anyone else
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NLR - Newfoundland Question - AJ or anyone else

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultNLR - Newfoundland Question - AJ or anyone else

Newfoundland, part of Canada. Just didn't know that. Decided to find out exactly where Newfoundland was. Found it, but the maps I found all say 'Newfoundland and Labrador'. Are these alternate names for the same province? Or are the maps I found just combining two provinces and not showing the boundaries?

Curious mind needs to know as is too lazy to do more research.

Ed
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: NLR - Newfoundland Question - AJ or anyone else

I should really know this, but someone correct me if I'm wrong. :P ;D

I believe Newfoundland is the province, and Labrador is a region of Newfoundland. I also believe our beloved labs actually originate from greater Newfoundland, and not Labrador itself....?

Again, PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong!

ETA: Technically Ed, it is a lab related question.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

'ETA: Technically Ed, it is a lab related question. Wink'

Yeh! but it was the geography issue that got me asking, not the origin of our favorite breed.Kind of like having Felix remind me about Holland and The Netherlands. I knew it before but it must have gotten lost somewhere in the back of my head.

I think this question is something I never really did know. Must be the the attitude of us in the US that geography and politics of other countries isn't important. (Reflection on what may not have been taught in elementary and high school, not of my view of the importance of our neighbor to the north or any other country.)
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

my current understanding is that the province is now offically known as Newfoundland and Labrador - as Labrador was feeling left out

(Labrador being the land to the west of Quebec; Newfoundland being the island)

Newfoundland only became a province in 1949 after the war ..it is an interesting political read ... the mechanics of it

now I'm not that into politics so the interesting read has already left my mind

cheers
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

aj

Quote Originally Posted by Endofile
    Newfoundland, part of Canada. Just didn't know that. Decided to find out exactly where Newfoundland was. Found it, but the maps I found all say 'Newfoundland and Labrador'. Are these alternate names for the same province? Or are the maps I found just combining two provinces and not showing the boundaries?

Curious mind needs to know as is too lazy to do more research.

Ed
    As far as I know, they used to be different, it once was just Newfoundland, and then Labrador. The abb. used to be NFLD, then went to NF, now it is NL. It is one provience now...Too confusing to explain...and to be honest I would need to do some research to find out exactly why it was changed. I was born here , then my parents moved to Toronto, Ontario, then I got married got really sick and decided to move to Newfoundland to my husbands home town. We have been here 4 years and a million bucks would not make me move back to Toronto.

I will ask my hubby tho at lunch when I see him to see if I can get the goods on the Province we call GOD'S COUNTRY.

Here is a map of Newfoundland and Labrador, and close to the bottom is a yellow line pointing to a yellow dot, that is where I live.

aj

Ok I just sounded like a dumb ass infront of my boss, he said the Newfoundland and Labrador is 1 Province.

Katies Mom is offline Senior Member

How cool is that. Now we need Ebony's Mom (Serena) to show us where she is. (SO I CAN MAP MY ROUTE TO STEAL JORGIE)

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Now what do you want to know about Nova Scotia?

Thanks to all. The picture is a lot clearer???

The map AJ posted certainly makes the geography clear in my head. Never thought of going Wikpedia. Nice write up on it. I can only imagine the economics and politics of combining/naming the region.

I feel good today. Learned something new. Still capable of expanding my horizons.

Having a better view of the map leads me to believe our Labrador Retriever water dogs must have originated in Newfoundland. Can't imagine much water in Labrador. ;D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast