More breeder ?s....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More breeder ?s....

Callaway is offline Senior Member

DefaultMore breeder ?s....

So I stumbled across another breeder online, I havent called because there are some things I am curious about.
    The parents have there Pedigrees right there for you to veiw.
    They have a one year garuntee for hips and eyes, no tests as far as i can tell. (it didnt say anywhere)
    They have a contract that states you must give the dog back if you are unable to keep him/her.
    There are two different prices one with breeding rights one without.(red flag?)
    On there most recent litter they had specified pets only no breeding rights.
    There is a spay/nueter contract 6months of age. And they hold registration until you do so.
    What is the difference between American pet registry, or AKC registry?
    Thanks for reading.

Courtney, Bogey and Calli

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: More breeder ?s....

Hum...
    No clearences would be a huge red flag. I would ask if they have been tested.
    The whole breeding rights thing would be another red flag the ones that are listed as pets only are probably not up to standard but I don't think a really good breeder would let owners have breeding rights they would do a co-own and work with the owner to establish a good breeding.
    I've never heard of the American pet registry ???

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I wouldn't bother calling, if I were you.

This is from Laura's (labby) site, I'm sure there is a breeder near you on the list, and I'm equally sure that she wouldn't put a breeder on the list unless they checked out in all required areas. Happy hunting!

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/labkennels2.html
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

APR is where many of you puppy millers register their litters. Most often any breeder listed under APR breeds several litters AND most often the dog cross-breeds.
    Kim

Quote Originally Posted by bacatherine

I've never heard of the American pet registry ???
    Me either. This is alot harder than I thought!

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    I wouldn't bother calling, if I were you.

This is from Laura's (labby) site, I'm sure there is a breeder near you on the list, and I'm equally sure that she wouldn't put a breeder on the list unless they checked out in all required areas. Happy hunting!

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/labkennels2.html
    Thanks!

kaytris is offline Senior Member

most of the time, people AREN'T willing to return a 'defective' puppy (which will often be euthanized upon return to the breeder), so it's an easy out for a breeder. Look for breeders that offer a replacement puppy, but no return required.

Quote Originally Posted by kaytris
    most of the time, people AREN'T willing to return a 'defective' puppy (which will often be euthanized upon return to the breeder), so it's an easy out for a breeder. Look for breeders that offer a replacement puppy, but no return required.
    OMG I didnt know that!

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kaytris
    HK came with a 3 year warranty for hips, elbows, eyes, etc. But she would have to be returned, and would be replaced when a pup was available.

Right! I would almost return her (independent of the euthanasia) after raising her, loving, and her becoming a family member. The fact that i also assume that she would be put down if returned. NEVER GONNA HAPPEN!

You are so right for bringing this forward.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

The parents have there Pedigrees right there for you to veiw.This is OK, doesn't make a difference. Actually, if they list AKC registration numbers, even better!
    They have a one year garuntee for hips and eyes, no tests as far as i can tell. (it didnt say anywhere) No tests? No puppies. That's my rule. No OFA, CERF or Optigen, this breeder would be IMMEDIATELY ruled out of my book. PERIOD, end of debate.
    They have a contract that states you must give the dog back if you are unable to keep him/her. Actually this is standard. When I do my first litter, I will also be requiring that if the dog cannot be kept for any reason whatsoever, I want the dog back.
    There are two different prices one with breeding rights one without.(red flag?) Yes, RED FLAG, another immediate disqualifier for the breeder
    On there most recent litter they had specified pets only no breeding rights. This is actually OK, all pups should be sold on a Limited Registration so that they can't be bred, unless you are looking to get into the sport and make special arrangements with breeder for a show quality pup
    There is a spay/nueter contract 6months of age. And they hold registration until you do so. Spay/Neuter contract is fine, but I don't like the idea that they hold the registration until you do so...would make me think that they actually don't have registration papers to give you. My belief is that you do not take a puppy home if the breeder doesn't have the official papers to give you. I have seen too many people screwed on this.
    What is the difference between American pet registry, or AKC registry? I have never heard of the American Pet Registry, and I actively show my dogs and know many breeders. The only 2 acceptable registries in the US are the AKC and the UKC, do not be taken by any breeder who claims they register through any other registry. If you want to waste your money, send me your $30 registration fee. I'll register your pet in MY database...it's worth about the same in the long run

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast