Travelling long distances with your lab.. - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Travelling long distances with your lab..

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Travelling long distances with your lab..

When we make long trips, her fabric crate (Pet 'n Go) is folded up in the trunk of the Honda Accord coupe (2 dr) for use at our overnight stays, if needed, but there wouldn't be room for any crate inside the car. I recline the back of the front passenger bucket seat and Puff alternates hopping into the back to stretch out and snooze there with hops into the front and curling up on the front seat in a tight coiled-C or taking other positions up front.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

No dogs in the front seat ever unless you have the option to turn the passenger side air bag(s) off. An air bag can kill a dog.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Nope. Mine ride in their crates in the car, and they all enjoy it

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labs4life is offline Senior Member

Mine ride in the back of the Xterra. If we have tons of camping equipment, I seperate the back half with a divider and they stay in the middle section.

If we take the Crown Vic they have the entire back seat.

We schedule frequent stops on long trips. Not so much for the dogs, but for my wife. She has to pee constantly.

The Constitution is suppose to guarantee everyone the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but the Constitution does not guarantee everyone equal outcomes.
    Some people are more talented, educated, thieving and dishonest than others.

Katies Mom is offline Senior Member

Katie beats me to the front seat in the RV and I have to sit somewhere else. I can see her laughing too. It is a major game that I always lose.

I make a two day trip (16 hours) every summer w/ two kids and Shelby. I put my oldest (teenager) upfront, and my youngest in the back with Shelby. I do have an Expedition, so "room" isn't really an issue. I take treats, a gallon jug of water, and two bowls. Shelby is fantastic (better than the kids ). We stop every couple of hours and I have one of the kids run with her at each stop so that she gets some exercise.

I always use a doggie seatbelt with Shelby -- for her protection and ours (don't want to imagine a labby projectile!)

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Oh yeah..only time I have ever really traveled with him a long distance was when we moved to Kansas. I fixed his crate pad and a pillow and he and Midnight basically slept the 12 hour trip!

When we do things around here I have the seat back as far as possible on the passenger side so he can lie down if he wants. He usually likes to sit and look out the window tho!

Tanya is offline Senior Member

It really depends on the dog. Rocky does great on our many 8.5hrs trips home. We often travel with my brother in his Golf. he's made some trips in the hatch and others in the front (one trip we had three humans, me in the back with Rocky and their cat Hilo!).

If you can it's best to tie Rowan somehow (I use his harness and a leash tot he seatbelt) so she doesn't go flying out. Otherwise i'm sure Rowan will be fine - no need to get a huge vehicle.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

I have driven with Scotty on many long trips (6-12 hours). He is always in his crate for safety. We make stops for gas and to use a restroom and let him out to air and stretch his legs. His crate is not the most luxurious sleeping arrangement, but he just falls asleep and does not protest getting into his crate again. As I said, safety comes before comfort.

curly is offline Senior Member

If we are on a long trip, we take the wife's Trailblazer and use a crate in the rear. We go to the in-laws quite often and usually take my truck and Zakk rides in the back (yes, I have a camper shell before anyone starts yelling ). The truck works great with the camper shell because Zakk can swim until we are ready to leave and then he can jump in the truck while he is still wet (the in-laws live on the water). The shell has sliding windows which allow plenty of air so he doesn't get hot.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast