Travelling long distances with your lab.. - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Travelling long distances with your lab..

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Travelling long distances with your lab..

We have driven 16 hours with Emilu in the back seat and a fairly well packed car. I swear she could make the whole trip without a stop if the humans didn't have to stop! We would stop, get her out, and she wouldn't even go potty or barely stretch her legs. I know I am bad and always let my dogs on the back seat, or in the back of the station wagon, but they are never in the front seat - they have more room in the back, and it seems just a tad safer for them to be in the back.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labz4Me is offline Senior Member

My daughter and I have taken 3 long trips with Abby & Jack within the past year to visit friends for labfests. They are great travellers. We went to Erie (6 1/2 hrs), Detroit (9 hrs), and Chicago (12 hrs). We have a SUV and the seats fold down flat in the back. The dogs travel in style! They lay on two double thick dog beds which we throw over a comforter. For the last trip I brought them to daycare before we left. They slept the entire length of the Pa turnpike without a peep! 5 hrs! I pack kongs, nylabones and toys to keep them happy in the car. Also water bottles, dog dishes, food, their brush, etc. Extra collars and leashes, too. We pack more for them than we do for ourselves. LOL! We hope to be traveling with them to Lousiana (20 hrs) at the end of January, too, but will stay in Knoxville on our way down. Keeping fingers & paws crossed the weather cooperates.

Pat from S.E. Pa
    Abby - CGC
    Jack - OCP (official couch potato)

labby is offline Senior Member

I've never had one ride in the front. Mine ride in the back in a crate.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

Mine are in the back in a crate. My dogs have driven 8-13 hours in one day. Always in their crates. They always get pleanty of chew toys, water in crates at all times and usually several potty breaks.
    Kim

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

Mine will ride 6 hours one way to go hunting and not make a sound other than snoreing. On an all day drive, she will shift positions a couple of times, and then go right back to sleep. She has travelled in the car in the backseat for so long, ever since she was a little puppy, that she does not bat an eye. If we goof up and leave a car door open while unloading groceries, she hops in and curls up in the backseat.
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

Yes, I would like her to be in a crate too ~ unfortunately, my SEbring won't allow it. My six year old is still in a booster seat so that takes up a little more room too. WE will be stopping regularly as my husband has a bad back and needs to stretch. I hope we have a good driving day and no bad storms.
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

We drive with Cinnamon to Vegas a 6 hour trip each way once a year. I prefer to board her there where I am nearby rather than in Phoenix. She is a trooper. She will ride on the captain seat in the 2nd row of the van for about 10 minutes then she migrates to the back and sleeps on either the seat or she prefer the floor.

She gets up about every 2 hours so we stop and potty (it is usually 100F or more) so she is happy to get back in the AC van. The people she boards with in Vegas have a Chessie and a pool so she burns any extra energy when we get there.

Have you considered renting something a little larger (small suv or minivan) for the trip?? I couldn't imagine a nine hr trip with that many bodies in a car! Otherwise, for the most part my crew also rides in crates in the back.

Kathryn Guest

When we went and got Jacey we took a car.. It was 3 adults and 2 children in CARSEATS IN BACK WITH ME!!!!!!! From Cheyenne, Wy to when we picked Jacey up it was only 3 adults, one child and a puppy. From Cheyenne back to Casper it was 3 and 2 and a puppy. If we did it over again we would have rented a van or SUV for a few reasons. Space, and we hit some snow on the way there.. And on the way back rain, hair, snow, stuff. We would have been more comfy in something a little larger..
    Good luck!!

Pete has been on many many long trips. I try to make sure he gets some energy out, but a lot of time I'm time pressed. He can be a little antsy sometimes but for the most part he either watches the road or sleeps in front or back.

If my girlfriend is with us then he has more of a jealousy issue and can't relax as much.

Not long ago we did a four hour trip of me, Pete, kitty in front and girlfriend and her dogs in back. I lucked out being the driver.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast