New here...few questions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New here...few questions

DefaultNew here...few questions

Hello everybody...I am pondering the thought of getting a lab and have a couple of questions. First off I have allergies, however it's with only certain breeds. My mom has a maltese and I do fine with him. My friend used to have a golden...and I had a really bad time with him that's really the only breed i've had trouble with. I was wondering how labs will affect me. Also, what are the prices ranges for this breed...I obviously want to get a nice one...I don't want to show so I'm not expecting a very high priced show dog.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: New here...few questions

I would suggest you visit a breeder or a rescue and spend some time around the breed. That way you and both the 'new puppy' won't be disappointed when you can't keep him/her if your allergies affect you.

As for price, I am from Canada. I am going to be bringing my second purebred dog home in January. ALthough both of my 'dogs' are "pets" they are from BOTH from championship stock. I paid $1000 for each of them. I know they are both worth every penny.
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

If you have problems with goldens, you will likely have problems with labs. My entire family has allergies, but we control them through medication, filters, allergy shots, etc. And as someone that has had both long hair and short hair dogs- short hair dogs like Labs are way worse for allergies.

I think price depends on your location. I'm in Saint Louis and pets from a good breeder go for 800-1200. Frankly, when looking at a breeder, unless the price is way exorbitant or way low, price shouldn't be a huge consideration.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the replies...I'm not really worried about the prices as much as I am the allergies. I've always had problems with longer haired dogs...so I'm thinking labs won't give me a problem...I will probably just go and spend time with some. More opinions on the allergies are more than welcome though, thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey88
    .I will probably just go and spend time with some. More opinions on the allergies are more than welcome though, thanks again.
    I think that is wise.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dawson Creek Girl
    .I will probably just go and spend time with some. More opinions on the allergies are more than welcome though, thanks again.
    I think that is wise.
    Agreed because you would feel awful having to give up a new pet and it wouldn't be fair to the dog.

Assuming you won't have any allergy probems, be sure to spend alot of time researching the breed and learning what to expect. The more you learn up front, the easier the transition and the less stress you'll have. Good luck and if it does work out, be sure to post some pics!

Quote Originally Posted by myfavoritedog
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawson Creek Girl
    I think that is wise.
    Agreed because you would feel awful having to give up a new pet and it wouldn't be fair to the dog.

Assuming you won't have any allergy probems, be sure to spend alot of time researching the breed and learning what to expect. The more you learn up front, the easier the transition and the less stress you'll have. Good luck and if it does work out, be sure to post some pics!
    Isn't that the truth!

fburke is offline Senior Member

Please make this determination before you bring home a lab for yourself…too many labs at shelters for this very reason..

If you know someone that has a lab maybe offer to dog sit for them from a few days…don’t just spend an hour or so around it and base your decision on that.

It would be wise to spend a few days around one then it may be helpful.

Good luck!

I cannot stress how much worse labs are for allergic people than long haired dogs- so please don't assume that because you are okay with a Golden, you will be fine with a Lab. Labs have double coats and shed much more than most long hair dogs.

I have had allergies since I was a toddler- but have made the choice to make it a workable situation as Labs are my breed of choice.

If you do not have an allergist, I would get one. If you do have one, I would consult them before getting a dog. They have recommendations on breeds and on how to cope with the allergies.

Recommendations on allergies & dogs
    http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?articleid=145
    AKC's recommendations on breeds:
    http://www.akc.org/about/faq_allergies.cfm

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I would only like to repeat what the others have said regarding finding out how your allergies are going to react to any dog. And to make a decision on what path you will follow if you bring a dog into your home and find the allergy reaction is more severe than you anticipated. With you get treatment for yourself to make the situation tolerable, or get rid of the dog?

If you separate from the dog, it will be hard for you, the emotional separation from an animal you have grown to love. But the prospects for the dog are much worse. Life in a shelter, or to be down because they can't afford to keep the dog and can't find a home for it. Please do your homework and make a decision that you and the can live a good life with.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast