Attu's coat a question for all

Thread: Attu's coat a question for all

DefaultAttu's coat a question for all

Not sure if this topic fits here or under health/nutrition but here is the question. Most labs I have met their coats are very oily and when you get done petting them you feel like washing the oil and doggy smell off your hands. Attu's coat is just not that way. There is no doggy smell from petting him and his coat does not feel oily. So is this normal for labs (Attu is a purebreed) or is this just the way his coat is?

Thanks

Dawna

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Attu's coat a question for all

Hmm, Shelby's coat doesn't feel oily ... nor do her labby friends. No smell either ... well, no smell to her coat. But her paws, well that's another story entirely (they definitely take on a grassy smell).

I don't think and oily smelly coat is normal for a Lab. Neither of my two have ever felt oily and I seldom bathe them. Well maintained black Lab's coat may look oily but that is just a good shine.
    I think you have a normal Lab for sure.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Shane23 is offline Senior Member

Shane's coat doesn't feel oily either. I would think it's normal as long as the dog doesn't have flakey or itching skin. Is Shelby's coat shiny?
    Laura

Summerlin's Inspired by Armani CD (Shane)

Sometimes in the winter when it get really dry, Attu will have flakes so I have started to feed him one capsule of Fish oil with his dinner. We will see how that goes. His feet smell just like Frito's which I love.

I am now wondering if the oil feel and doggy smell has something to do with breeding. Most of the labs around here are either mixes or if they are purebred they have come from the backyard breeders (numerous around here--you know the type "i've bought this purebred dog and now want to breed them to another so called purebred dog to get my money back--I hate these people). Sorry I'll get off my soapbox now.

Hmm. I've never met an oily or smelly Lab...and I think with what I know now all of the ones I've ever been around were probably pet bred or BYB dogs (maybe with a few exceptions).

I think it probably has more to do with diet than anything. Sounds like Attu is perfectly normal to me. Billie is not oily or smelly at all, she never gets bathed and I don't feed her fish oil because her emissions :-X are too much to bear if I do. I prefer to humidify the house since ALL of us have dry skin this time of year.

Oily and smelly sounds like a hound coat to me. ???

My family has had both labs and hounds all my life and the labs never had an oily/smelly coat and never got baths. But boy the hounds sure did stink no matter if you bathed them or not. :-X

I think Attu's coat sounds normal for a lab.

Thanks everyone. It was what I though too.

You all have a Merry Christmas.

Dawna