Wierd question about "doggy smell"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wierd question about "doggy smell"

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultWierd question about "doggy smell"

I'm not talking about the "bad" kind of doggy smell - they got into something, or they have some kind of skin thing going on that makes them smell, or they are really upset or anxious and send out their "I'm a DOG!!! Beware of me!" smell - but their normal , everyday "doggy smell". The thing is - I love it. I can't really smell it on them so much, as where they've been. Their beds, their blankies, my car :-\. I know that people don't like their houses to smell "like dogs", but I find that more and more, I feel comforted by their smell when I get whiffs of it. Anybody else willing to admit that they like their dogs "odor". (probably the same people that love the smell of horses!)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Wierd question about "doggy smell"

I'll go for yes unless you are trying to sell your house ! the world seems full of pet haters then

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

Depends. On their bed, yes. On my pillow (complete with their fur also on it), not so much.
    Toby and Chamois say: GO STEELERS!
    [[IMG][/IMG]

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Definitely. Just lets me know they are ok! And, like you, the longer I have them, the more I actually like the scent.

If I ever sell this, I'll worry about having no pet scent then. But until that time, when company comes, they'll just have to get over it.

I don't even mind the fur so much. I do try and keep the place vacuumed tho so it doesn't look like I never clean the place!

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I admit it - I like the doggy smell. Not an overpowering one but a slight one.

Houses smelling like dog though - yuck. I have walked into peoples homes and smelled the "dog" odor while standing outside on the front doorstep.

I have walked into peoples homes and smelled the "dog" odor while standing outside on the front doorstep

OK - maybe not quite THAT strong

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Shadow had little to no smell, and people never smelled her when they came to the house. Buddy, also, has little to no smell. Champ, however ... :-X This big boy stinks. He's on the same food Buddy is, gets the same treats, etc. - but he smelled quite a bit when we got him. They used to bathe him a LOT, which ruined his coat, so I'm wondering if that has something to do with him smelling so strong.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

I think that some dogs do smell more than others naturally, but I also think that many dogs who have a stronger odor also are ones that are more "skin reactive", and usually have at least mild allergies. They also tend to be dogs with more "nervous energy". Skippy really doen'st have any odor normally, but if he gets really nervous he emits an odor, which can disappear almost as quickly as it comes. Emilu is a "smellier" dog, but when I really notice it, there is always a reason for it - some kind of skin thing going on. Again, if I stick my nose in them, I can't smell it as well as a general "wafting" around them. I started the thread because I coverd myself with a couch blanket that Emilu had laid on (even though she doesn't get on the couch- right?) and it smelled mildly of doggie, and I just snuggled right in. That's when I thought I might be getting weird.

eklind51 is offline Senior Member

i like the dog smell but i worry when we have visitors...most people around here believe all big dogs belong outside. and they are amazed that we have ginger in the house and that she sleeps in our bed and is allowed on the furniture. when she was younger and we had visitors over i would always crate her. some of the visitors would ask if we let her out and walk around the house . i'm assuming they thought we would put her in there and not take her out.

Gene Guest

Hmmm, I got use to the smell of DW, so I guess I'll get use to the smell of my dogs ;D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast