Raw Eggs - Now I'm even more confused....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raw Eggs - Now I'm even more confused....

DefaultRaw Eggs - Now I'm even more confused....

A good friend just bought a Great Dane puppy and everything is going well for them. As he has a young family, the thought occurred to me that perhaps one of the kids might "treat" the pup to some human food. I told him about a list of toxic products/foods I had at home & he was interested in getting a copy. I just Googled "toxic foods for dogs" and obtained a list of just food items that are no-nos, and why. According to:

http://www.peteducation.com/article....articleid=1030

...raw eggs are toxic. It says that "Contain an enzyme called avidin, which decreases the absorption of biotin (a B vitamin). This can lead to skin and hair coat problems. Raw eggs may also contain Salmonella."

But a few weeks ago, there was a discussion on here regarding feeding your dog raw eggs and there were many that do. I seem to recall that Labby said that dogs cannot get salmonella. So which is it - bad or good? I'm leaning toward "good", simply because many raved about the condition of their Lab's coat after giving them eggs on a regular basis.

I have been giving Cooper raw eggs but honestly, after about two per week, I nixed that and started giving him a shot of a cod liver/flax seed/olive/canola oil mixture on his food every morning. It makes his coat feel much better and no dandruff. He gets about a tbsp per day.

Comments?

Bev.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Raw Eggs - Now I'm even more confused....

Geesh,.... I'm no help, guess I'm confused too. My parents fed our GSD's raw eggs over their food, and I've always heard of the benefits to their coats. I have fed raw eggs in the past, ........ never on a real regular basis though. I'd be interested in what everybody here says.

Melissa
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

Dani is offline Senior Member

Dogs are not as subseptable to salmonella as people are...but I suppose as with any food, given in excess, it can do much harm to your dog. Many raw feeders feed eggs, shell and all. My boys get one egg yolk once a week when I make my egg white omlet on Sunday morning.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

I honestly feel that if your feeding a quality diet, why feed the egg? While they are full of nutrients, protein, etc. I don't see how they are going to turn your dogs life around.
    As far as salmonella..yes dogs are less susceptible to it BUT they can be carriers of it and feeding them raw eggs can certainly allow this type of contamination that can effect humans. Especially older people and children.
    Kim

Sams Mom is offline Senior Member

Sorry to hijack.

My friend refused to eat raw cookie dough because of the raw egg, but her favourite holiday indulgence? Egg nog!

We seem to have an aversion to raw eggs in our culture. In Japan, as often as not the eggs that went with my soba noodles were raw. Actually more often than not. Mind you the eggs tasted weird, different than here, so maybe they get irradiated to kill bacteria before they get sold. (It wasn't a purely different side of the world thing as the eggs in the Phillipines and Thailand tasted the same as here).

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Dogs seek out eggs in the wild. One could say it is part of their natural diet. I know that HK found a duck ''nest" next to the creek this spring and that was the end of those eggs. I think I remember a movie about a dog that was supposedly bad becasue it went after the eggs in the chicken coop.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

rottnlab dad is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Endofile
    Dogs seek out eggs in the wild. One could say it is part of their natural diet. I know that HK found a dick ''nest" nest to the creek this spring and that was the end of those eggs. I think I remember a movie about a dog that was supposedly bad becasue it went after the eggs in the chicken coop.
    Not sure about the egg question, but I would like to know, what's a "dick nest"?

Bella

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by rottnlab dad
    Dogs seek out eggs in the wild. One could say it is part of their natural diet. I know that HK found a dick ''nest" nest to the creek this spring and that was the end of those eggs. I think I remember a movie about a dog that was supposedly bad becasue it went after the eggs in the chicken coop.
    Not sure about the egg question, but I would like to know, what's a "dick nest"?
    Never, NEVER, NOT ONCE, did I say that I could type. The 'u' is next to the 'i', the 's' is next to the 'x', and the darn 'u' on this keyboard sticks.

It did come out funny though. FIXED!
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by rottnlab dad
    Never, NEVER, NOT ONCE, did I say that I could type. The 'u' is next to the 'i', the 's' is next to the 'x', and the darn 'u' on this keyboard sticks.

It did come out funny though. FIXED!
    Funny!!!!

Thanks for the comments, all good. I think I will just forget about the raw egg - err on the side of caution, I guess. The oil on his food seems to be controlling the dryness he has this time of year so I will stick with that. He gets a boiled egg most Sundays....only because I do too! ;D

Bev.

KebMo Guest

I gave keb a raw egg - and he got the trots. I opted not to give him any more because I don't like carpet surprises. :P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast