Bad Breath and Bone question? Please offer some suggestions if you can....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad Breath and Bone question? Please offer some suggestions if you can....

DefaultBad Breath and Bone question? Please offer some suggestions if you can....

Hi All
    I dont post here nearly often as I read the posts but Im always here. My Sammy has been having some horrible breath the last few weeks ???. I try to brush his teeth but its always a battle >, I eventually do get the outside of his teeth pretty good but barely touch the inside. It has never been a problem, the vet has always said his teeth looked good and I keep trying to brush the teeth better and more often.
    The only thing that has changed that I can attribute to the breath is that we stopped giving him cookies (bones) and have been giving him baby carrots as his treats. This was because I noticed he was getting a little chubby. I have been doing this for a few months and only recently noticed the breath, I did look inside his mouth all over and dont notice any chipped teeth or anything unusual. I did a search the other day on the boards and saw every one suggested to get him a raw bone to chew on. I dont have any local butchers that I can get that from. I went to pet store and got him a knucke bone that he has been chewing on the last few days under our supervision. Is there any other suggestion that anyone can think of?? Thanks in advance for your help!
    Chris and Sammy

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Bad Breath and Bone question? Please offer some suggestions if you can....

I believe a lot of the bones you buy at pet stores are cooked and may shatter. Here is a link that may give you some useful information:
    http://www.2ndchance.info/badbreath.htm

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Bad Breath and Bone question? Please offer some suggestions if you can....

Hey! Vets told me I could do an untrained exam if I suspected something and was considering going in to the U to the dental vets.

(1) Without attempting brushing, try lifting and lowering lips to get a good look at outside of teeth and gums. Then try, with Hershey this is really a task, get the mouth open and try to visually examine the inside.
    (2) Slide your finger around the gum line and tooth surface of each tooth, outside first, paying attention to feel but watching for discomfort from the dog (pain indication). then try the inside.

I don't know what you are trying to brush with. I have regular human (soft bristle) brushes, electric brushes, and a finger cot brush. There is no doubt in my mind the finger cot brush is the easiest to work with and get the best job done. (For me) HK doesn't mind the brushing, that issue is trying to get her teeth brushed when she is trying to eat the toothpaste off the brush.

Carrots should be a good cleaner. Rawhide is good for cleaning their teeth also, with the blockage risk of course.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Buy some dog treats with chlorophyll in them. This is a natural breath sweetener.

Callaway is offline Senior Member

I get our bones from the grocery store , in the meat section. Usually a pack of three for like a dollar or something. I also let him chew rawhide BUT Ive made a habit since he was a pup that I hold it while hes chewing , so now he'll go get it bring it to me and sit down, and chew. Kinda gross and slimy but hey he's happy! And if he does get a large peice off I can take it right off of him. I dont buy the regular bones from the pet stores they tend to break and splinter. Freaks me out.

Courtney, Bogey and Calli

Hi guys
    Thanks for the responses. I will try to find bones at the grocery store I guess, I havent seen any when I have gone in the past and when I asked the meat department they looked at me like I had 5 heads! What are the bones called that you guys are getting or what do you ask for at the meat department? maybe Im asking for the wrong thing ??? . As far as the pet store bones shattering, thats pretty scary I will have to take this one away from him. I have given him ones with Peanut butter in the past and have never had any trouble with it, maybe those are of a different quality.
    Regarding the brushing, I have a dogs tooth brush, finger brush and have tried regular soft tooth brushes, he just seems to be a brat and doesnt like my fingers in his mouth!

Anyone have any suggestions on what treats that have chloryphyll in them that I can try? When he was a baby, I gave him Greenies all the time but that was before all the scandall and before I realized they were dangerous. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Ask the butcher in your grocery store for SOUP BONES.

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

We go to the slaughter house nearby and get beef bones for our dogs. Charlie Brown suffers from tartar . He can get some pretty rank breath too.... and after a big raw beef bone, his teeth are clean and his breath is better. We try to give them a big one once a week, and that keeps their teeth so white , tartar free and no bad breath.

They are just LARGE beef bones. usually they look something like this

Melissa

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

I do not know if it is the same in the dog world as it is in the human world but one reason for bad breath is food that remains in the mouth/teeth. It collects bacteria that causes bad breath. This is also party the reason for tooth decay too (it pays to have 3 family members in the dental field).
    So if this applied to dogs then cleaning the teeth is important. My dogs constantly chew Nylabones and femur bones. I have never had to brush teeth.

Using carrots as a treat to clean teeth..I don't buy it if the theory above is true. I've seen my dogs mouths after eating a carrot and there is more carrot left behind on the teeth than I think they consume! :P

Though I am not sure how much food stays on my dogs teeth since only 2 of them actually chew and not just inhale their food.
    Kim

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

A lot of doggie bad breath doesn't come from the mouth at all, but from the digestive tract. I would also consider a change in food if my dog's breath were that rank and there was nothing amiss in his mouth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast