This frosted me

Thread: This frosted me

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultThis frosted me

My neighbors with the Pit mix have started to chain him up in their front yard now. For us, it means I am unable to play with Tal or let him "help" me bring in or take out the trash. I have several options within a short walking distance of home, so from that perspective it's not that big of a deal.

I feel sorry for the other dog. I don't want to risk an altercation of some kind. I know Tal would want to play but any dog on leash, or chained up especially, can react to another dog within close proximity in such a way as to be detrimental to them both. Just a risk I am not willing to take.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: This frosted me

I'm on your side.

Maybe this can be a motivator to work on some really good training to stay at heal when taking the trash out.

Can you stake Tai such that he(?) can't reach the other dogs property and play with him on that lead? Not what any of us want to do, but it might provide a solution to being able to play on your property.

I know, you don't need me. I just try to find solutions to work with to situations out of my control.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Can you put up a fence?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Endofile
    I'm on your side.

Maybe this can be a motivator to work on some really good training to stay at heal when taking the trash out.

Can you stake Tai such that he(?) can't reach the other dogs property and play with him on that lead? Not what any of us want to do, but it might provide a solution to being able to play on your property.

I know, you don't need me. I just try to find solutions to work with to situations out of my control.
    I thought of that too and tried it last summer when I was out mowing the yard. Tal kept getting tangled up in the tie out and I was afraid that since I could not watch him that he might choke or something like that. Plus when we are out I like playing fetch with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Tbog
    Can you put up a fence?
    That is a good idea and I am thinking about putting one up, and the thought occured to me before this. I can't right now because of the expense. I will probably put one up eventually. Two good things tho...when we go to the park there's alot more space to play and not using it as much will allow some good grass to grow there in the spring.

KLM

That's sad about him being chained up.

I also wanted to add that thats so cute that Tal "helps" you take out the trash. Jake "helps" me go get the mail. He knows what "lets go get the mail" means and he'll take off down the driveway and wait at the bushes that are his "no cross zone". It's cute.

ETA... I know how frustrating it is to have to alter your own routine in your OWN yard....we have a lot of dogs that run loose in the neighborhood and when they come in the yard and won't go away we have to go in....It makes me so mad cause it cuts short our outside playing time in our very OWN yard. >

georgie is offline Senior Member

I don't blame you. The other dog may become afraid & act out, especially if he is chained out. Poor dog.

Yeah it is really aggrivating. One of the things I liked about this place was not only the fenced on back yard but the large sideyard. Very annoying I cannot use it when I want but we can work around it.

The loser in all this is their dog. He seems like he would be a really nice little dog. He looks so lonely out there all by himself.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Your comment popped a thought. Do you know this neighbor? Is this a shy way of trying to set up a play date?
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by Endofile
    Your comment popped a thought. Do you know this neighbor? Is this a shy way of trying to set up a play date?
    No don't know them. That is also a strange situation.

Couple #1 moved in in July. She was fairly nice..at least would speak and wave. He aloof. I would also see a (about) 2 year old little girl.

About a month ago couple #2 moves in. Man from couple #1 spends most nights there still and I haven't seen the lady or the little girl from couple #1 since before the "move". I really have no idea what the deal is.

So I don't think it is a way of trying to set up a play date. And, frankly, I don' think they are that interested in the dog to try and get him properly socialized.

I only know they are renting the house.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Just keep Tal leashed as he helps you or as you play in the yard... good training opportunity for ensuring that he keeps his focuss on you, not on trying to play with another dog.