More Prayers, Behavior question, advice needed
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: More Prayers, Behavior question, advice needed

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

DefaultMore Prayers, Behavior question, advice needed

Morgan is in for surgery this morning - the antibiotics are doing absolutely NOTHING for his cysts. They continue to bleed, weep, and swelling and raw flesh are pushing his feet out of shape. The vet will debride, cauterize, clean, and stitch the cysts shut in hopes of starting the healing process. Prayers would be mightly appreciated for this nervous mom and her heartdog.

Then - in talking to the vet, Morgan is somehow able to get his feet inside the lampshade cone collar and continue to tear at them when the pain is at it's worse - any other suggestions for keeping him away from his feet when I am not able to be right there - he can even do this when in his crate...

And - unfortunately, I had to take Harley with me when Morgan was dropped off last night - and my best girl, my easy keeper, lover of all other dogs and people - went ape as we left Morgan...tried to go thru a glass door after a golden, and tried to get the JRT in the lobby on our way out - not friendly at all. Assume it is some kind of stress reaction - but how do I make sure this does not happen anytime she is without him?

Thanks you guys - I am worried sick about all of the above!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: More Prayers, Behavior question, advice needed

Sorry, no advice ... just good thoughts and prayers that both situations will improve. How long will Morgan have to stay at the vets?

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

If all goes well he comes home tonight.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Linda1 is offline Senior Member

Will keep Morgan in my prayers. Have no advice about Harley other then increasing the times you take just one or the other out alone.

Brookville, Pa.

Not sure this will help, but I bought some infant socks for Dutch. He was licking at his foot constantly and the baby socks fit snug on the paw. I also had a velcro Santa bootie I put around his foot when he tore up his paw pad. Those feet are so aggravating to both the dog and the human in trying to keep them clean.
    As for your Harley...hopefully, I'm thinking maybe she just needs some more getting out time and socialization around other dogs. Right now you have enough to worry about with those feet, though!

Samson is offline Senior Member

Sorry Stace

poor Morgan

momofalab is offline Senior Member

When I use to work for a vet, we use to attach the e-collar to the owners coller. You can try that. We are talking 10 yrs ago, so the collars might be different now. We had two different kinds...one that snapped down the side, those you couldn't do this too, unless it became yours (ours had to return to the vet) then you could maybe punch holes into it and zip tie it to his collar, and one that you could attach to the collar. Are either of these a possibility? The other thing that we did, was we took like a new round bucket, like a five gallon one..., cut the bottom of it out to fit over the dogs head, poke holes in it so you could again use zip ties or yarn to attach to his collar.

-Shannon

ALTERNATIVES TO ELIZABETHAN COLLARS

LINK #1

LINK #2

BANDAGE IDEA
    LINK #3

It's probably just stress and leaving her buddy for Harley. Just try to get her out and about more by herself.

The clinic I worked for a couple of years ago had elizabethan collars like Shannon is talking about. They hooked into the actual collar, making it harder to get off.

Is he tearing at them by chewing? Or just by rubbing them up against the e-collar?

We had a couple of patients that we had to muzzle as an absolute last resort because we went the whole gamut with them- e-collars, socks, bitter apple on the socks, etc.

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

Stace, so sorry Morgan is still having trouble with his feet. Lots of good thoughts and prayers for him today. I wonder if you could reverse Elizabethan collar his feet??

Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast