I will never forget that sad day, Christmas 2004
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I will never forget that sad day, Christmas 2004

Gene Guest

DefaultI will never forget that sad day, Christmas 2004

I couldn't talk about then, or 2005, or 2006, but I will try now. It started out as the best Christmas ever. We had our kids, grand kids, nieces, nephews, and my mother over at our house that year. There were 35 of us gathered around the tree in our large family room. DW had spent days decorating the house, it looked beautiful. We were handing out presents, and Sammy, our black lab, had his share of presents, too. We got Sammy from a breeder in 1994 when our youngest daughter moved out of the house and left for college. The house seemed so empty and Sammy filled the void We took him everywhere we went, even on our vacations. He was our kid! Sammy loved to open presents, he always knew there would be new toys in the Christmas wrappings, it was so cute to watch him open them. Thirty-five people in the house, and nobody noticed Sammy was no longer in the room. We were so busy watching everyone open presents, we didn't notice he wasn't there. It took a couple hours for the gift exchange, so I'm not sure how long he had been gone. I called,"Sammy", but he didn't come ??? I called again, but still no Sammy. I went up stairs to the kitchen, and there he was, lying on his side,eyes closed, barely breathing, and foaming at the mouth. Next to him on the kitchen floor was two LARGE empty boxes of Russle Stovers chocolates, with the wrappers strewn around on the floor. I could tell I was too late. As I cradled his head in my hands, he opened his eyes and looked in my eyes for a second, wagged his tail twice, closed his eyes and died in my arms, that fast. I covered him with a blanket and carried him out to the garage. I went down to the family room, took my wife aside and told her what happened. We didn't want to make a scene and ruin Christmas for every body, so we didn't say anything at that time. The next morning after everyone left I drove Sammy to the vet to be burried. I think I cried all the way there and all the way home. :'( But when my wife and I really lost it was when we were cleaning up and noticed a Christmas stocking hanging on the fireplace. It was Sammie's, still full of dog treats. We hugged each other and wept :'( Run free, sweet Sammy, I will never forget you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: I will never forget that sad day, Christmas 2004

Oh, what a sad story. Yet a loving rememberance. Run free sweet Sammy.

JeffG is offline Senior Member

Oh wow!!!!

Talk about chokin up over here.......that is absolutely horrible......

Good thoughts and prayers for you this time of year.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kathy5475 is offline Senior Member

Wow. I'm so sorry :'(

wiscpayton is offline Senior Member

OMG, I am so very sorry about your loss :'( How horrible for you both. Thank you for sharing. Your courage to share your experience may save a life. Bless you.

bibber is offline Senior Member

Oh gosh, I am so sorry you suffered such a terrible loss.

This is a good reminder to the rest of us at this time of year, because it could happen to anyone.

Brenda, Sam & Bodie

I'm so sorry to hear that story. I hope at this time of year you and your family have time to reflect on the great memories you made with him.

BASEBALL18 Guest

Thinking about you this season. Hope you always remember the good times you had.

Gene-
    I am very sorry to hear what a tragic loss you and your wife had. I wish you all the happiness Sammy ever brought you this Christmas and the rest to come.

Doug

lcspt is offline Senior Member

Sharing your pain and tears are flowing. :'( Thank you for sharing this with us.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast