Muttluks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muttluks

DefaultMuttluks

Who owns muttluks and what do you think of them - do they stay on the dog's paws better than other brands? This will be my 3rd attempt at boots for Cooper; the others will not stay on. I really need something for him this winter - they seemed to have upped the salt usage on our streets and I am sure it must not feel great on his pads.

Thanks.

Bev.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Muttluks

I have a pair for Rocky.

Had trouble with them last year (when I first bought them). But i've been using them regularly this year with no problem. One fell off tonight but i could see him kinda "flip" it off (I wasn't put on right and was slipping, he just helped it along). I didn't put it on right.

I admit - I am paranoid and watch him/them. But so far we've been very lucky. They do'nt fall off very much and the few times it has - I saw it.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Okay - I couldn't remember whose dog in the siggy pic looked like he/she had them on...then I just posted on your flyball post and saw Rocky with them on!!! I just ordered them and should have them by the end of the week. Here's hopin' we don't blow a boot on the first outing! That's what happened with his first pair of boots - went for a walk and came home with three... > (But found it in the spring on the road!)

Bev.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya - where are you located? Just realized your flyball link was a ".ca" link. I ordered my muttlucks from Ren's Pets in Oshawa (Oakville - gee, can't remember now - one of the two). I'm in Ottawa. They are an AWESOME company to order pet supplies from. I think their prices are quite reasonable. I nearly ordered the muttluks directly from muttluks.com, as they are Cdn but hells bells, they were a good $25 MORE than Ren's. All this to say that if you are looking for something, their website is worth checking - renspets.com.

Bev.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I'm in Ottawa

I got those at WAG - there are more shots of him in his booties in the photo section (dog park photos). I can't say he LOVES them. He won't move at first but I don't pay any attention. Once we get outside he's fine - though he walks slightly differently. More of a bounce and wider stride (legs wider apart). If he's standing around doing nothing for too long he's start liking them but if we are walking or he's playing with another dog he's fine.

The back legs have to be really tight. You can wrap twice as much on those compared ot the front. I was told not to worry about "cutting off circulation" and get them very tight. Ideally they would be more contrasting with their coat so it's easier to see if they are on or not (in the dark I have a hard time seeing).

Finally - he sounds like a horse running around in them - it's VERY funny!

Charlie (foster) and Rocky

I thought you were in Ottawa....recall that from a previous thread (maybe the one where we were all trying to get together?) I'm in Barrhaven. We have a really good place to walk off leash (although technically it's not an off leash area :) but not sure how much longer we will have it. Can you say "transitway development" and "sub-division expansion"?? Sigh. Oh well. We'll enjoy it while we can. It works out to roughly 7 km round trip and it's perfect for both of us.

Cheers,

Bev.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Tanya,
    what size did you get for Rocky. Tally is already lifting her paws during a walk from the cold.
    Pat

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I have read a couple different threads on dog boots, Muttlucks appearing to be the top of the line by the posters. My concern is that if I take HK out of the roadway and the city has salted (chemicales, I guess), that her feet would get too cold from being wet and the temps. In my mind that would be the only condition that I would be protecting her feet.

Dog park excursions would be 1-5 miles, on snow, no salt or other chemicals used. Should I be concerned about this also?? How much protection from cold do our Labs feet need. I guess my thinking was that only when man has interfered with the natural environment (i.e. salted roadways)
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

I have the fleece-lined ones for Henry and we love them!! They stay on really well if we're just walking, and fairly well if he's running at the park. I make sure to cinch them up fairly tight. Hope this helps!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast