I got airborne yesterday (courtesy of two labs)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I got airborne yesterday (courtesy of two labs)

bibber is offline Senior Member

DefaultI got airborne yesterday (courtesy of two labs)

SU was out front all day working on the Christmas lights, so we had two dogs crying just inside the front door for hours, wondering what was going on outside and wanting to join in the fun. I thought I'd put their leashes on and take them in the front yard so they could check everything out. They were already wound up, but when they saw me go to the leash drawer, watch out! They were dialed up to 11. I put on the 20' flexi leashes, but thought I had locked them down to about 6'. Wrong. We went out the front door, everything was ok for about a minute, dogs were sniffing around, VERY excited, doing leap in the air, leap, sniff, leap. Then they spotted our neighbors across the street, who were also putting up lights. Sam and Bodie love them. All of a sudden the leash is flying out at about 100 miles an hour. It happened too fast for me to do anything. Almost at the end of the yard, the leash runs out with two 95 pound dogs going full steam ahead. I almost flew out of my boots, but somehow held on. My feet flew out behind me and I landed face first in the lawn. Dogs immediately see mom is down and come to check on me (i.e., jump all over me while giving kisses). Hubby and neighbors are in fits of laughter, wishing it was on camera to send in to America's Funniest Home Videos. It took me a minute this morning to remember why my arms felt like they got yanked out of their sockets.

Brenda, Sam & Bodie

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: I got airborne yesterday (courtesy of two labs)

I am sorry. I hope you are feeling okay today.
    I guess this the fun I have to look forward to, when we get our second lab. Jenica alone is a challenge.

Paula is offline Senior Member

yikes!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

k8show is offline Senior Member

I can't imagine the force of 180 lbs of muscle!!! Boo's 70lbs seems like a lot!!
    Katie and Boo

Glad you are okay. They really have amazing strength when they set their sights on something. :P I can't imagine having two pull like that. I had a similiar incident last winter with my little 55 lb. girl. She spotted a deer & took off. Before I even knew what was happening, I was eating snow. She was still pulling (and I was still holding on) when I began the long roll down the snowy embankment. And can I just say ... these things never, ever happen without an audience. :

georgie is offline Senior Member

I'm glad you are okay. I'm sorry to have to laugh, but picturing that scene in my head makes me smile. I have been on the end of leash being pulled by an 75 pound lab. It does feel like your shoulder is coming out of the socket.

Glad you are okay. Nellie did the same to me last month. We were on Long Island and I decided to walk her to the beach on her 30 foot lead. She took one look at the water and started to butt tuck up and down the beach. Mom ended up like you, face down in the sand.

Callaway is offline Senior Member

Im glad you can still use your arms. That said I almost choked on my sandwich reading that! LOL!

Courtney, Bogey and Calli

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

are you okay???? I bet you are gonna feel it tomorrow. There is always a day delay.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Bibber,

I am not trying to be critical. You did say across the street, and I don't know what kind of traffic you have. But sometimes we have to pick what battles we want to fight. A 180 pounds of dog on an urgent mission? Time to let go if it was me and I go over 200 pounds myself.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast