Kong Toys for a Pup
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kong Toys for a Pup

DefaultKong Toys for a Pup

What size Kong toy would you get for a pup?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Karolyn is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Kong Toys for a Pup

I have used the puppy kong for harlee....works great so far the next size up is too big
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

I bought the blue one for Rowan when she was 7 weeks (when she came home) and she had it chewed apart in no time. :

I would suggest going with the 'red'.
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Red ;D

I bought the medium sized puppy kong (blue/white) for Shelby when she was a puppy. 2+ years later and she still uses it. But then, she's not a destroyer. If I was doing it again, I'd probably skip the puppy kongs and just use a regular medium Kong. Shelby has 6 or 7 Kongs -- about 1/2 of them are medium and the others are large.

Thanks everyone.
    Petsmart has a 15% off and free shipping that ends tonight at 11:59. So I am getting everything I will need for my new lil' girl. I am out to get her in Feb.

One more question about product- any harnesses for puppies? I don't know if this is advised or if they exist?

Tia
    Tia is offline Senior Member

I think we got the medium size Kong for Gauge before we got him. It was too big. He's 12 weeks old and just now is he starting to chew it. As for the harness, I haven't looked into a puppy harness...get an adjustable one though for sure. I actually wouldn't mind using a harness because Gauge tends to be caught up on chewing his leash since it's close to his mouth.

Good luck with the new pup. The wait is the hardest and worst part!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YellowLabProject
    Thanks everyone.
    Petsmart has a 15% off and free shipping that ends tonight at 11:59. So I am getting everything I will need for my new lil' girl. I am out to get her in Feb.

One more question about product- any harnesses for puppies? I don't know if this is advised or if they exist?
    My vote for the kong is red. I have three or four between my two. The puppy kong was gone in about two weeks.

In my opinion, regular old harnesses just teach dogs to pull. If you're doing something like the easy walk harness, that's different. Or if you're teaching the dog to track, that's different (Gabby tracks, so we have a tracking harness). But puppies don't need to learn how to pull, so I would skip the regular harness thing.

I would recommend some sort of car restraint system though if you haven't thought about it. My day to day car is too small for a lab crate (Honda Civic on a daily basis) so I use a seatbelt harness. It was very nice when I had a very squirmy puppy in the car. I don't use it on fifteen minute (park and back, for example) jaunts anymore, but everything longer I do.

EMA
    EMA is offline Senior Member

a small harness would be good! I love harnesses because they can be put on puppy for potty breaks or outings when you don't have the time or patience to work on proper leash manners. When I put a collar on, the dog is to walk nicely by my side, but with a harness they can sniff all they want and even pull some - they don't have to be on a perfect heel.

As an FYI, you can put the Kongs on the upper shelf of the dishwasher to clean them. They can get pretty dirty and the insides are hard to clean.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast