Snow photography question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snow photography question

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultSnow photography question

Simple problem #1

Take pictures of HK out in the fresh snow and the snow is blue

Simple problem #2

HK is a dark chocolate. Snow is very bright. Result isn VERY dark dog and can't make out any features.

Camera

Pentax K10D with F3.5 lens and ultraviolet filter on it

Question 1: How should I adjust setting or what filter should I use, not use, to get white snow and not blue?

Question 2: How do I adjust settings such the snow is a bright (life like) but I can still see good image of dark dog?

Question 3: How do I adjust photos already on camera?

Two examples of what I am not happy with.

Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Snow photography question

Snow fools your camera into underexposing the entire scene. The reason you see blue is because of the reflective nature of snow -- it's reflecting off the sky. You probably have exposure compensation somewhere on your camera (sorry, but I have a Canon) -- and you want to adjust between one and two stops (+1 to +2) to take into account the snow.

Do you have Photoshop or Lightroom? Either of those might help improve the photos you already have, especially if you shot in RAW.

Kathy5475 is offline Senior Member

I don't know anything about cameras, but how did HK like her first snow (assume this is her first?)? I can't wait to see how Riley likes it!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I found an article for you -- it gives another suggestion: http://www.betterphoto.com/article.asp?id=106 And another one that explains (and shows photos) of changing exposure compensation: http://pcin.net/update/2006/01/11/ph...photography_t/

Tia
    Tia is offline Senior Member

My camera has a "snow" setting! ;D Just found this out today.

See how these look and let me know....

Chowhound, Thanks!

I should get the chance to try the suggestions this morning at the dog park.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

YellowLabProject,

Thanks You lightened up the photo enough to see HK better than what I had posted. I guess I am trying to learn how to take the picture right to begin with, and playing with the aperature is probably a good first step. Not sure how to handle the blue snow. You did a pretty good job, but I think what you have done is similar to what I have run into. Post having taken the picture and trying to lighten it, the snow takes on the blue tint. I am not good with colors or color balance, could never would in the paint department. I use Paint Shop Pro X2, and I can lessen the blue, but then it moves over to yellow or brown. Seems that white is the ever elusive perfect answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Endofile
    YellowLabProject,

Thanks You lightened up the photo enough to see HK better than what I had posted. I guess I am trying to learn how to take the picture right to begin with, and playing with the aperature is probably a good first step. Not sure how to handle the blue snow. You did a pretty good job, but I think what you have done is similar to what I have run into. Post having taken the picture and trying to lighten it, the snow takes on the blue tint. I am not good with colors or color balance, could never would in the paint department. I use Paint Shop Pro X2, and I can lessen the blue, but then it moves over to yellow or brown. Seems that white is the ever elusive perfect answer.
    To rescue your current photos you'd have to separate HK and the snow into separate layers and color correct each one individually. If you have a photo you love that you want me to attempt to repair (no guarantees), just PM me and I'll send you my email address (I'd need an uncompressed original).

Good luck with photos today!

Chowhound, Thank you so much for the offer. I don't have that precious photo in the snow yet. Right now this is an education project for me. HK of course being the first subject of interest and provides lots of opportnities to capture what might be a nice photo. She will be my experimental subject. Next year, our granddaughter will be 2-1/2 when the snow hits. I am looking forward to being able to take great pics then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast