The boys had another big fight :(
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The boys had another big fight :(

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultThe boys had another big fight :(

Last Wednesday night, the night before I had to leave for my company retreat for two days. It was not such a good send-off for me.

It was a very disturbing night altogether. On the way home, I saw a beautiful dog, a collie mix of some kind, lying in the middle of a four-lane road. He had been hit by a car. :'( :'( :'( He was so lovely, and his long coat was blowing gently in the wind. It just tore me up. It was rush hour traffic, so I couldn't stop, but I got home and was just bawling because I really wanted him out of the middle of the road. I hated the thought of his owners finding him there, right in the middle of traffic. People might start rolling over him. Oh, it was just AWFUL. I wanted to go back so bad. I didn't know what to do.

I got home and Kevin was out walking the boys. I stood in front of the house, crying, waiting for them to come back. When they got there I started blubbering. Kevin, my sweet hero, offered to go and move the dog. He left, but by the time he got there someone else had done so.

We went inside and the boys were unusually cuddly. I was drained from all the emotions, so I just lied on the floor with them and they were so affectionate and sweet. After a while, I got up and we started to play fetch.

This is just how it happened last time, more than a year ago. For a long, long time I didn't play fetch with them together in the house, but as time has gone on I guess I've relaxed this rule a little bit. Well, everything seemed to be going along fine, and then all of a sudden they were up on their hind legs, Angus with Simon's neck in his mouth, shaking his head. >

No amount of "leave it" was going to work, so after about 20 seconds I ran into the kitchen and got their water bowl and dumped it on their heads, which stopped it right away.

Overall, this one didn't seem nearly as bad as the last time. Neither of them came away with any scratches or scrapes. It is just so frightening when you can't get them to quit.

So, I guess it's time to crack down again. It's just so confusing, because I never know how much to allow bitey face or whatnot. How far do I let it go? I mean, I don't want to inhibit them from being dogs and playing, when all they're doing is playing. It's hard to make that call. If I stop them every time they play growl, I feel like I might actually inhibit them so much that I build more tension and do more harm than good. :-\

They have been fine ever since - everything seemed perfectly normal again a few minutes later. I believe Jean Donaldson, in her book "FIGHT!," defined a real fight as one where there are actual injuries. So was this just a really spirited game of bitey-face that was outside of MY comfort level, but not theirs? ??? I never feel sure that I've done the right thing when this happens.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

blackjack is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: The boys had another big fight :(

How sad about the collie, but how sweet of Kevin to go back.

As to the rough play, I have the same issue. The problem here is the size difference. BJ is three times the size of the other dogs and there are times he really gets what I consider rough with Boomer. I can tell at times that Boomer just does not want to play and BJ gets right in his face, barking, trying to egg him on. Boomer has figured out that if he jumps onto one of the kitchen chairs BJ will leave him alone. But there are times especially at the dog park where BJ just runs him down and rolls him in the grass. I try to get BJ to back off and give him a rest, but most of the time Boomer turns around and starts things again. I try to gauge it by the level of growling or if they draw other dogs into the frey at the park. I don't want Boomer to be seen as "prey" by some of the other big dogs. I am confused as to where to draw the line. So far, no blood or other injury.

Rusty, Blaze & Buster Brown
    BJ - 3/9/2007 - 2/6/12 - miss you everyday
    Boomer - ? - 3/15/12 - always in my heart

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Flynn can get pretty aggressive in his play with Seamus. Sometimes it encroaches my comfort level, but Seamus is smart. Not only does he tower over Flynn, he outweighs him by a good deal. He knows how to counter the "attack" by flinging himself across Flynn's back. I've had to break them up a couple of times but generally speaking, when play reaches that level, I wait it out.

You know who is the most disturbed by this aggressive play? My Lhasa! And he's the one I absolutely would NOT like to tangle with in a shakedown!

Really!

Seamus and Flynn

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

It's only during fetch when they get out of hand?

penzpurlz is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kaytris
    That was my thought too, but only in the house?
    Penny from Sunny Southern California

Yes, and not every time. It's only happened three times, total, and only in the house. The first two times were fairly close together (maybe a month in between?) and then it hasn't happened again for more than a year, I think.

As I think back, it was about this time last year. It was winter, and they weren't getting as much exercise as usual. :-\

They have played fetch in the house countless times without incident. I am still not sure what set the buttons off this time. ???

Connie and "The Boys":

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Buddy and Champ will sometimes get a bit too rough playing in the house, grabbing each other by the 'ruff' or that extra skin and fur around the neck. I only put a stop to it if one of them yelps or whimpers, or if they start banging against the curio cabinets (mostly glass).
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

kaytris is offline Senior Member

For whatever reason, fetch inside makes them over aroused. So if you want to play the game, make it VERY controlled.

One in a downstay (tethered if necessary), while the other plays. Then switch.

Or you could just not play that game inside.

(This always reminds me of my grandfather's favourite joke:

"Doctor, it hurts when I do this!" (wrapping his arm around his head)
    "Well, don't do that anymore"
    "It's a MIRACLE! thanks doc!"

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Kaytris gave an excellent suggestion.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

"Doctor, it hurts when I do this!" (wrapping his arm around his head)
    "Well, don't do that anymore"
    "It's a MIRACLE! thanks doc!"
    Yeah, my mom loves to quote that one too. :P

Connie and "The Boys":

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast