Growling dog question

Thread: Growling dog question

DefaultGrowling dog question

Who else has a lab that growls when he's talking to you and playing with you?

When Rocket gets excited, he makes all kinds of "dog talk" and will even growl. He's even done when he's excited meeting a stranger. I can tell it's the good kind of growl, but it really freaks other people out.

????

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Growling dog question

My first lab/golden mix sounded fierce when she played but she was a pussy cat. She was the gentlest dog I've ever been owned by. Although Nellie is very very vocal with the strangest sounds sometimes she has never growled.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Tal definitely growls when he plays. It freaked me out the first time 'cuz I thought oh no...but as I learned it is his play growl!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Teko is 15 mos. & just started a lot of talking & now growling at me when we're playing or if he gets excited. He's a big sweetheart.

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

taylor makes growly, throaty sounds and sometimes she sounds like she's mumbling or trying to "talk." she likes to vocalize sometimes. ;D she is a big marshmellow though and a coward, too. the few times she have been scared, startled, or hurt, her response is to yelp and run away or belly up. i know my dog, and i know that her growly vocalizations are harmless, but if she did that to another person, i'd make her stop vocalizing. there's no need for the other person to understand my dog. it's just easier and more polite to accomodate the other individual.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

Dani is offline Senior Member

Yeah...Rider really talks when I am wrestling with him...it's funny.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Callaway is offline Senior Member

OMG I was going to post something like this! Bogey does this wierd growly thing I cant really explain it but its kinda high pitched like he's talking or something. He does it when he meets anyone, or when he wants to play or go outside! It cute if he wants me to play he'll grab my shirt or nibble my arm and growl at the same time . Completly hilariuos! Ive heard the serious growls from him and these are nothing like it.

Courtney, Bogey and Calli

Keely does it. But you can always tell that it is her playing growl and not her mean growl. She only uses that one during the night when my boyfriend is away and she can't see because the lights are turned off. Her play growl is long and very hard to explain. She just keeps going like she is talking and the pitch goes up and down.
    Cooper doesn't play growl, he just barks.

MumtoEllie is offline Senior Member

My last foster did this. I was very concerned since you can never truly tell the temperaments of the rescue dogs until you have had them for a while.

But after watching him growl at his bowl when it rolled under the couch, we realized he was just a very talkative dog!!