Describe a time (or 2) when your lab "read" you....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Describe a time (or 2) when your lab "read" you....

DefaultDescribe a time (or 2) when your lab "read" you....

Intuition? What is it that makes them so intuitive?

I don't have any amazing stories, but would love to hear some. I'm just amazed at how I can open the door to the house, and Rocket will instinctively know that I have something for him. Maybe a toy, or a new bag of treats or bone --even when I've left all the stuff in the car. But he definitely acts differently the moment I open the door depending on whether I have something for him or not.

The other thing that impresses me is how in the last few months, I'm noticing Rocket will get between me and other dogs more and more. And it's always when I start to get tense. Dogs, in general, don't make me tense. I'm actually such a kid at heart when I see a dog and I want to pet them all over.
    But about 4 months ago when I went for a night-time walk with Rocket we turned a corner and came face to face with two large strays, a husky and a pit bull. I was tense the moment I saw them, but tails were wagging so I tried to be casual and keep walking Rocket past them. But when the husky stepped between me and Rocket, Rocket became instantly vicious towards the husky went into attack mode and all hell broke loose. (Thank God for neighbors that were close by and came to help).
    Ever since that night, I actually find myself getting tense around some dogs, but not because I'm in fear for my safety. I actually get nervous for Rocket's sake because I become afraid he'll get aggressive, and that makes me very nervous. And he only does it when I'm nervous. This happens anywhere we go and encounter other dogs -- even in broad daylight at PetSmart or the dog park or wherever.

I know these aren't impressive stories, and I know everyone's labs are tuned in to their families. I want to hear from you about the things your dog's sense.....

I'm just curious.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jeep274 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Describe a time (or 2) when your lab "read" you....

Kody has a knack for knowing when my wife doesn't feel good. She has had a rare form of Juvenile Arthritis since she was 14 and sometimes has real bad days. Kody will stay near her and actually force her to go to bed.

Recently she had such a day and I had to work. She stayed home from work and when I left I told Kody, "take care of Momma today". She called me later to tell me that Kody would not stop bugging her when she was in the recliner in the family room. So, she asked him if he wanted to go to bed and he took off up the stairs. Amy went to bed and Kody laid with her for half an hour, then went and laid at the bottom of the steps for the rest of the day. When I got home he met me at the front door and actually took me up stairs to the bedroom where Amy was still lying in bed, as if he was showing me that he did what I asked. He amazes me with is ability to read us.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I saw a glimpse of this the other day.

I was sitting at my computer, working on one of the three papers I had due this week. I was very, very stressed, as I had a limited time left to complete this one particular paper, and I was really struggling with it.

Baloo came up to the office to visit me, and I decided that I wanted a "hug" from him, hopefully to make myself feel better. I have taught him a signal to jump up on me, as we use it in training. BUT, I've never given him this signal while I'm in the sitting position. I didn't think of that at the time. So, I give him the signal, and he jumps AT me, instead of on me. :

His snout connected full-force with my left eye, and it HURT. So I just burst into tears. The pain and the stress together were just too much. :'(

He was so upset. He started crying too, and nudging my elbows from either side (I was leaned over the desk with my head in my hands, continuing to sob like a baby... :-[) He was rubbing up against me, seemingly desperate to comfort me somehow.

All of a sudden I was able to see the situation more objectively, and started to laugh. So now I can't see out of my left eye, tears are still running down my face, and I'm cackling like a hyena.... ;D

I leaned over and gave Baloo a big hug, and then went back to writing my paper, after the sight in my left eye returned.

Strangely enough, I did feel much better.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

emccase is offline Senior Member

I've just recently gone through a separation pending divorce and am temporarily living with my family who currently have two dogs of there own. Mckenzie loves having them to play with but I think its so sweet that she always "checks up" on me. If I'm downstairs in my room she will go upstairs to play for a few minutes and then run downstairs to check on me. She did this at least 5 times yesterday while I was getting ready for work. If we're all sitting around watching TV she'll play with the boys then come over and kiss me make sure I'm okay and return to playing. If I'm really not feeling good though or having a bad day she stays with me and doesn't budge. Its like she always has to know where I am and that I'm okay.

Mckenzie the lab and Maddie the Mastiff wanna be.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep274
    Kody has a knack for knowing when my wife doesn't feel good. She has had a rare form of Juvenile Arthritis since she was 14 and sometimes has real bad days. Kody will stay near her and actually force her to go to bed.

Recently she had such a day and I had to work. She stayed home from work and when I left I told Kody, "take care of Momma today". She called me later to tell me that Kody would not stop bugging her when she was in the recliner in the family room. So, she asked him if he wanted to go to bed and he took off up the stairs. Amy went to bed and Kody laid with her for half an hour, then went and laid at the bottom of the steps for the rest of the day. When I got home he met me at the front door and actually took me up stairs to the bedroom where Amy was still lying in bed, as if he was showing me that he did what I asked. He amazes me with is ability to read us.
    What a great little guy you are Kody!
    My nephew has had juvenile arthritis since he was 5yo. He's 18 now, and he has had a very dibilitating life. At times he can't even walk or move his legs at all.

...Actually all these guys are wonderful. I wish we could understand them like they do us.

I've been really sick in bed all week and Clarence too knows that Mommy isn't feeling well. He's been on the bed all day with me, very quiet, not bringing toys or trying to play. Just laying on my legs or next to me until DH comes home. He got very concerned during a nasty coughing fit of mine yesterday, sitting in front of me with the head tilt and his brow furrowed. It was very cute. He got to play with his friends at doggie daycare a few times this week as a reward. Hopefully I can take him on our big walk this weekend. He's at the office with DH today and it's a little lonely without him...

Kwinon is offline Senior Member

I had a situation w/my Mother this summer requiring me to go back to my childhood home for a few days at a time. These were unhappy visits, & I always returned stressed & miserable. Ruffy loves SU & was perfectly happy to stay w/him till I returned.

Or so I thought.

One day I got another phone call & told SU, "Well, I've got to go back."

And Ruffy went wild. He butt tucked around the house then planted himself by my side and actually velcroed himself to me even as I was walking out the door. It broke my heart to leave him.

I think Ruffy wanted to go w/me to help me cope during my visit rather than waiting till I returned . . .

Just the other evening while we (me, DH & Lula) were on our walk, my DH says to me that he needed to run by the grocery store. The grocery store is about 4 blocks in the opposite direction that we normally take on our evening walk. Lula has walked with us to the store before, but only a few times. Not nearly as often as we take the regular route (every night).

When we came to the next intersection where the detour would begin we stopped as we do every night. Lula has been trained to sit at intersections until I give her the command to continue. I decided to test her as she has shown clues to me before that she knew where we were going if we had been discussing it on the walk. DH and I stood still facing the direction of the normal route. I gave her the release command and she headed in the direction of the grocery store.

I believe that she has learned the name of the store and knows where it is. It's probably because this is the store where we buy her marrow bones and treats. It's a health food store with a restaurant and butcher and hence has a very strong oder. I can smell it on any of my family members if they stop by on the way home so I know Lula can too.

All in all, I think she associates the name of the store with food. We drive there almost every day (usually she is in the car). I'm sure she has heard the name and then we stop or go there enough that she has been conditioned.

I can't help but think of all of the commands that I have tried to teach her and she doesn't seem to get it. Yet, she knows the name of the closest grocery store and how to get there. :

I predict that if she ever got loose she would follow the same route we do to walk to the store, stopping at all of the intersections until traffic had passed and we would get a call from the butcher at the grocery store to come get our dog.

k8show is offline Senior Member

Wow, amazing stories!

A few nights ago, DH and I had a little lovers quarel. (All better now, I'll spare you the details.) Boo went and hid in the back yard while we were arguing--he never goes out there alone at night! When I started crying, he came inside and snuggled me and kissed my tears. Brian tried to pet and kiss him, but Boo was visibly upset. He wouldn't go near Brian. He didn't warm back up to Brian until I told him it was ok and the three of us kissed and made up.

The impact of our interactions on him was truly astounding. We both wanted to end the argument ASAP so our boy could go back to being his happy go lucky self.
    Katie and Boo

Quote Originally Posted by M Fortune
    Just the other evening while we (me, DH & Lula) were on our walk, my DH says to me that he needed to run by the grocery store. The grocery store is about 4 blocks in the opposite direction that we normally take on our evening walk. Lula has walked with us to the store before, but only a few times. Not nearly as often as we take the regular route (every night).

When we came to the next intersection where the detour would begin we stopped as we do every night. Lula has been trained to sit at intersections until I give her the command to continue. I decided to test her as she has shown clues to me before that she knew where we were going if we had been discussing it on the walk. DH and I stood still facing the direction of the normal route. I gave her the release command and she headed in the direction of the grocery store.

I believe that she has learned the name of the store and knows where it is. ......
    That's leads to another great thread idea. I know my dog understands me when I'm talking, and he never misses a word when I'm talking on the phone or to someone else. He picks up on everything.

They are amazing creatures.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast