Hidden Puppy damage?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hidden Puppy damage?

jan elaine Guest

Default Hidden Puppy damage?

Have any of ya'll ever hidden damage, your puppy caused, from your significant other? And what was the damage amount? For instance my last lab that I had to put down for aggression issues (long story) chewed up the corner of our brand new leather chair. > Which I have managed to keep hidden for 5 months (I'm good! ;D) Anyway, my husband is just now coming around to getting another pup so I really need to keep it hidden!!
    First Lab owned: Amber
    Damage: Laundry room floor, completely pulled up (vinyl)
    Chewed window sill off Dining room window (twice)
    Put a hole through dining room wall, head size (still not sure how)
    Chewed sheetrock off around sides of kitchen window
    Numerous oak chair legs

Maybe if new puppy owners see this they will realize that they are not alone and that it only gets worse!! Ha! ;D

:

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Hidden Puppy damage?

Have I suppressed damage the one of our historical dogs or current angel, Hershey Kisses, has created. Of course, I have. But not the kind of damage you reference. Usually small stuff, or her own stuff that just isn't worth making a case about.

(Has DW done the same?) Lets just say that she is not as good at suppressing as I am. But again, not the same level that you are speaking of.

I will stick my neck out here, hope you don't get tooooo offended.

If your dog was creating that level of damage, the dog was not ready to be left unattended. The dog should have been crated. If I read to much into your post, my error. If I didn't, you need to decide how you are going to train the new dog and get commitment from the whole household before you bring another dog into the home. Otherwise you will likely wind up with the same result and its not fair to the dog, or yourselves.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

The only things my dogs have destroyed is one small pillow, and one flip flop, and a little chewed carpet (corner of a stair) and a few stuffies. All three were my fault because I let Mocha have too much freedom too soon. I lived by myself at the time so I didn't need to hide it from anyone but now I am married. I've thrown away stuffies that have been destroyed but they were cheap and I didn't care and neigher did hubby.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Guess what! (knocks on wood) we have never had damage to hide. Lula has always been crated and had plenty of chew toys and never damaged anything of ours in the house. She has damaged plenty of her things, including 4 dog beds. And yes, she has tried to hide them.

My DH and I did have to hide the damage to our arms during the "puppy teeth" months. We looked like we picked roses for a living. People would stare at our arms so we felt like we had to hide them. Lula also damaged many shirt sleeves in this period too. :

my2labs is offline Senior Member

cinder and abbey both have a nervous licking habit when i am out of the house and a few times, i forgot to put the cushions up on the couch and cinder licked a nice wet spot right on the cushion and abbey licked a similiar one on the pillow. i turned both of them around before DH got home and he never found out. also, abbey and cinder both chewed the legs on the end tables but because they were hand-me-downs from the inlaws, they were not in the greatest of shape anyway. abbey chewed up our bedroom carpet one time but there was no hiding that. and cinder has eaten a few pillow corners in her younger years and those could not be hidden either.

Sam 9-27-07

Mojo 7-6-12

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Endofile

If your dog was creating that level of damage, the dog was not ready to be left unattended. The dog should have been crated. If I read to much into your post, my error. If I didn't, you need to decide how you are going to train the new dog and get commitment from the whole household before you bring another dog into the home. Otherwise you will likely wind up with the same result and its not fair to the dog, or yourselves.
    In all fairness, there are some exceptions. For instance, Abby spent 3.5 months uncrated at the age of 1.5, and didn't touch a thing. However, I did come home one day from work to find that she had destuffed 3 couch cushions, ripped the skirting off the couch and ate a hole in the armchair arm. You can't tell me that I had any signs of her being not ready to be left attended for those 3.5 months prior to this day. Sometimes, shit just happens.

And yes, believe you me, I hid that damage for as long as I could, and the crate came back out.

Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I am sure there are always exceptions, to everything. I was just reading in between the lines, maybe incorrectly.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

We had very little puppy damage (actually can't think of any!) but I kept a very close eye on Shelby and she was stuck with me all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by TangerineFizz
    In all fairness, there are some exceptions. For instance, Abby spent 3.5 months uncrated at the age of 1.5, and didn't touch a thing. However, I did come home one day from work to find that she had destuffed 3 couch cushions, ripped the skirting off the couch and ate a hole in the armchair arm. You can't tell me that I had any signs of her being not ready to be left attended for those 3.5 months prior to this day. Sometimes, shit just happens.

And yes, believe you me, I hid that damage for as long as I could, and the crate came back out.
    It's these kind of stories that <<shudder>> scare me!

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

When Tal was a puppy, my arms looked like I, too, tended rose bushes for a living! He also de-stuffed two cushions on the couch. In one sense I didn't care because it was old and I am saving for a new sectional. BUT, with training and patience, he's pretty reliable now. I don't have a SU so no need to hide anything.

Tal always looks (looked) so proud of himself when he would get caught tho..lol

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChowHound
    We had very little puppy damage (actually can't think of any!) but I kept a very close eye on Shelby and she was stuck with me all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by TangerineFizz

It's these kind of stories that <<shudder>> scare me!
    She's not called The Abzilla for nuthin' :P
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast