"The Operation" - question (ANOTHER QUESTION ADDED)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "The Operation" - question (ANOTHER QUESTION ADDED)

Dawn is offline Senior Member

Default"The Operation" - question (ANOTHER QUESTION ADDED)

Mack was neutered yesterday -- :-\ :-\ :-\ -- The vet sent us home with instructions to keep him very quiet -- only leash walks for the next 10-14 days. Can anybody share their experiences with recovery times for this surgery? Does this seem excessively cautious?

I seem to remember when Bodie had it, the vet we used then said that he would regulate himself, and he was pretty much up and at 'em in a day or two, and we never worried very much about it.

SECOND QUESTION: Would you suppose it would be unwise to take him to his next obedience class, which is next Tuesday night? It is definitely not strenuous in any way ..... (?)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: "The Operation" - question

Yeah I think they told us 10 days with Bear, we kept him as calm as we could the first 3 or 4 days. After that were as he was on limited activity.
    The most important thing is no swimming until the stitches come (although I think by now its pretty cold by you and swimming would be out)

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Does this seem excessively cautious?
    Nope. Neutering a male may not be as invasive as spaying a female but its surgery none the less. For their own good its best to keep them quiet for that amount of time.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

k8show is offline Senior Member

Boo wanted to run around like nothing happened within 24 hours. I said, "no butt tuckin' for you, Mr." And he wasn't happy.
    He spent the next 9 days chewing on frozen kongs in his crate.
    Katie and Boo

my2labs is offline Senior Member

when cinder (female) was operated on, we had to keep her crated because she jumps on EVERYTHING. she jumped on and off the bed really quick one day and about sent me into heart attach mode because her stitches started bleeding. we had to keep her quiet for about 7-10 days after the surgery. hope your little guy makes out fine. good luck

Sam 9-27-07

Mojo 7-6-12

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

When Tal was neutered the vet said 7 - 10 days. They used the sutures that dissolve and he said that once 7 days passed, walking for about 3 or 4 days then he can go on unrestricted activity.

When I picked him up that afternoon, when he first saw me, you'd think he had never been under anesthesia. But once we were in the car, and especially when home, he was still gooney from the ordeal. By the next day he wanted to do all his normal stuff. Hard part was keeping him quiet.

After about 10 days he was good to go. Never had any problem.

I have a girl, so a little different procedure , but I followed doctor's orders and kept Shelby on a leash (when outside) for 14 days and no playdates. She's a very calm girl inside, so we didn't do anything different & she didn't have to be crated. But you have more than one dog, right? That seems like it would make more challenging.

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

both my girls were so active and energetic at 6 months of age that keeping them quiet after 2 days was nearly impossible.

Mack is pretty laid back right? I would imagine keeping him somewhat subdued won't be too hard.

We were told 10-14 days for Teko. We were lucky & he self-regulated himself, for the most part. His sister tormented him daily!

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: "The Operation" - question (ANOTHER QUESTION ADDED)

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn
    SECOND QUESTION: Would you suppose it would be unwise to take him to his next obedience class, which is next Tuesday night? It is definitely not strenuous in any way ..... (?)
    I would wait another week. When he is with other dogs he will want to play. I would not want to run the risk of roughousing causing a setback in his recovery.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast