At what age did your lab get the CGC?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: At what age did your lab get the CGC?

DefaultAt what age did your lab get the CGC?

First of all, I hope I posted this in the right place. I wasn't sure if CGC discussions were under obedience. Please correct me if I'm in the wrong forum. ???

Anyway, Lula is 12 months old and has been through all of the obedience/CGC classes. She is very good at all of the tests except sitting politely for petting or any of the other tests that require her to sit in the presence of someone other than me or DH. She gets so excited that she breaks her sit. Her butt is still just too wiggly. : Is she too young? :-\

I passed on trying the test last week. There will be another one in Jan/Feb. I hope this is something that she will grow out of. I had thought she would have gotten it by now. She's been training for months.

I wanted to hear other members experiences with the test. What age was your dog? How many times did you attempt the test? What were your difficulties?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: At what age did your lab get the CGC?

Kona was 11 months. I didn't prepare for it with him ......... we had been doing obedience training and took it just to see how he would do. Surprised me that he passed on the first try. Now with Bo who is 11 months on this coming Sunday ..... there is now way he could pass!! ;D Bo can't sit for greeting (let alone not jump on the evaluator). I also don't think he would stay with someone else nicely for 3 minutes without pulling and wanting to do something else ......... he doesn't miss me. Walking on a loose leash is also not in his skills yet. Bo, needless to say is a work in progress!!
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

Scout (jrt) ~year
    Darwin ~7months
    Piper ~5 months
    Puzzle ~10months
    Bono ~4 months

With everyone except Bono, I took an obedience class that practiced for the CGC throughout the course and then took the "test" on graduation night. The hardest part for Piper, Puzzle and Bono was the grooming part (where they bush, look at ears and feet) because they're wiggle butts

Just rememeber that you can talk to your dog the whole way through!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mocha was about a year and a half her toughest part was the seperation she's a HUGE momma's baby and whined. The best way to work on the greeting a stranger is to do it I think maybe take her to a pet store and ask people to greet her when she's sitting quietly. Work on her sit/stay in environments where there are a lot of people around, remember to start out like you would when you first started with short stays first and build up. Good luck Mocha is still not great at it but she did good for the test.

Labz4Me is offline Senior Member

Abby was a late bloomer. She was almost 2.
    Pat from S.E. Pa
    Abby - CGC
    Jack - OCP (official couch potato)

Henery was even a later bloomer... he was 4 when he got his CGN. I never thought to do it with him earlier!!

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Wes was about a year.

Try it. You can always retake later.....

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Zoe was 8 months. She passed the first time.

Good thing, because one month later, she entered her teenage phase and "forgot" some of her commands. :
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

I think Toby will be about 17-1/2 years old by the time he takes the test. That'll be about the same time he gets out of debt for all the stuff he's damaged/destroyed.
    Toby and Chamois say: GO STEELERS!
    [[IMG][/IMG]

Gabs got her RN and CGC at the same time ~12 months.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast