Accident, Spay induced incontenance, or defiance?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Accident, Spay induced incontenance, or defiance?

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultAccident, Spay induced incontenance, or defiance?

HK is almost 11 months old. Definitely housebroken, no accidents in months.

Yesterday we had our exercise period, fed, played, a trip outside for p&p. Then I had to get something done. She wanted to play. I gave her a few minutes, but really did have to get something done. She got her self some water and went to lay down on the family room couch, her favorite spot. Maybe I should have taken more notice of the drink of water (never have before) and taken her out again.

About a hlal hour later, I had finished with my task and went to pet and play with her. She was still laying exactly where I saw her earlier.
    I rolled her over for a tummy rub, and found her tummy wet, and what was the side that was down wet, and the couch cushion soaked.

So I don't know if she intentionally peed on the couch and then laid down on it, peed in her sleep (dreaiming?), or if this is an indication of incontenance (from being spayed almost 5 months ago).

Any ideas or experience?
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Accident, Spay induced incontenance, or defiance?

Drake did that once and after a little thought I called the vet. She had me bring him in to get a urine sample and he had some crystalization beginning. She said if left alone it could turn to stones. After some meds he seemed fine, they retested after 2 weeks and no crystalization. He has not done it since.

I suppose I should get her to the vet for a check for something like that. Probably should let the vet check her eyes to make sure the conjunctivitis is all gone also.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

I don't have any advice, but I just love your new siggy pic. Her eyes are beautiful.

I hope she is feeling ok and doesn't wet the "bed" again !

Melissa
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

labby is offline Senior Member

Dogs don't pee on themselves out of defiance. I'm betting a UTI or possibly the start of spay incontinence. Definitely get some urine into the vet for a check.

Laura

wa-lab is offline Senior Member

I could have almost written your post a few days ago. Piper is just 11 months old and recently had a similar episode. Peed on herself while laying down and then had two small accidents in her crate(after only being in there a short time) Took her to vet and they did urinalysis. Quick results = no bacteria, but high PH and lots of crystals. Still waiting on long results. They put her on antibiotics and prescription diet. Ugh. She does not do well at all with food changes = I got to clean up barf this afternoon. :-\ According to our vet, spay incontinence is fairly rare.

Sams Mom is offline Senior Member

Sam occasionally leaks like that. If you pull up her leg you can see urine dripping in little droplets. We just make sure she's had a pee after she's exercised. You may want to consult your vet. It could be a UTI.

Thanks to everyone. Looks like HK gets to see the new vet again. I don't have a chance at collecting anything in the dark, so tomorrow afternoon I will try. If successful, off to the vet. If not, I guess I will have to drop her off Friday morning and see if they are more successful than me. I will call in the morning to see if they will even accept a sample if I collect it.

She hasn't had any kind of an accident since, but I guess I want to make sure she isn't in discomfort.

wa-lab is offline Senior Member

Our vet's office took Piper's sample via needle into the bladder. She didn't display any other symptoms except the accident. We almost didn't take her in, but now are glad we did.

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Zoe's friend, Tasha, has spay incontinence. Symptoms sound like what Tasha went through...laying down, and then getting up in a pool of urine. Poor thing.

She was spayed at about 6 months. She is on medication which works wonders.

(Is HK a humper of toys, her beddings, etc? Tasha is, and I don't know if has any connection, but if they let her keep going at it, she will spray)

Good thoughts for HK.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast