New help with lab
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New help with lab

DefaultNew help with lab

I am despertly looking for a black male lab age about 6-9 months old, I want to train him to be my personal therapy dog. If anyone can direct me or knows of someone that has one please forward any info.
    Thanks much

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: New help with lab

I could be wrong, but I believe that therapy dogs are usually provided by agencies in the community. Where abouts are you located...?
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

Hi, and welcome--

Therapy dog as in TDI (to take to hospitals, schools, nursing homes, etc.)? . . . or do you mean assistance dog for yourself? A little more information would be helpful. Also let us know where you are located.

I know that some of the therapy dog groups in our area know some of the local show breeders; the same might be true for where you live. So you often can get recommendations by contacting TDI testers in your area, or by asking for referrals from your local Lab club.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by dogtrainerlady
    I am despertly looking for a black male lab age about 6-9 months old, I want to train him to be my personal therapy dog. If anyone can direct me or knows of someone that has one please forward any info.
    Thanks much
    Are you talking therapy dog or service dog? Therapy dogs visit nursing homes, hospitals, schools, etc with their owners. Service dogs are trained to help people with disabilities. Examples would be Seeing Eye and Hearing Dogs. Just trying to get a clear picture of what you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    I could be wrong, but I believe that therapy dogs are usually provided by agencies in the community. Where abouts are you located...?
    Therapy dogs are trained by their owners. Most service dogs are trained by organizations (The Seeing Eye, Canine Companions for Independence, etc), but I have heard of people training their own service dog.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MicksMom
    Therapy dogs are trained by their owners. Most service dogs are trained by organizations (The Seeing Eye, Canine Companions for Independence, etc), but I have heard of people training their own service dog.
    I assumed she meant service dog. I should have clarified, sorry.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

I assumed she meant service dog. I should have clarified, sorry.
    I figured you thought service dog by your question. So did I.

Clarification~
    , I've been looking for months for a really nice lab that I can train to do animals assisited activies/therapy dog training with. I prefer to find one black male age 6-9 months old. I am currently the training director for Riverside hospital Animal Ambassadors program and in need of a new personal demo dog for myself. As a professional dog trainer I've trained many labs for other people, now I cannot wait to train one for myself. If you know of any , please refer.
    Thanks much
    Lori Berg
    www.loristherapydogtraining.com

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Most shelters and rescue organisations are brimming with young black Labradors.

Thanks for the clarification, Lori. Shelters and rescue is a good suggestion, as I'm sure you know. Where are you located? The only black Lab I know of is a 4 1/2 year old male that Caleb's breeder has available.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Dani had a pair of 6-9 month olds, a yellow and a black. Not sure if they got them fostered or adopted.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast