Anxious to Foster

Thread: Anxious to Foster

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultAnxious to Foster

I have wanted to foster for years. I've dog sat abit over the past year and loved it so I finally took the plunge this summer and gave my name with a local rescue. Four dogs were brought up as potential fosters but it didn't work out. The first I couldn't take soon enough (I was dog sitting a dog aggressive pup). The second never panned out (he was never brought into their program) and the last I wasn't a great fit (dogs used as breeding pups who never stepped out of their crate - so the 5 steps to my place and fact that I live downtown wasn't great).

A month or so ago I met a gal who just started a rescue (mostly for older dogs or those in need - the "less adoptable ones"). I am working with her (as well - will work with BOTH as much as possible) now. She has had two potentials for me, but again the first they could not get (shelter would not release her) and the second, who she said would have been perfect for me, ended up coming from the FIRST rescue (above) so he had to go wtih them (and they seem to have another foster home for him).

I am not angry or upset or anything. Just VERY VERY anxious to get my first one!
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kathy5475 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Anxious to Foster

Awesome, it will happen when it's meant to happen. That's my dream in life. Money is not an issue. I have a wonderful, huge fenced in yard. I get to stay home all day and foster puppers. I don't proclaim to be a dog expert by any stetch and I have tons to learn but I have lots of love love love to give, no training with that is necessary ;D.

Good luck, and please don't get discouraged.

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

Good for you, and thanks for doing it. The right one will come around soon.

I know the feeling, though, except my inability to get a foster dog was because of DH's resistance. We finally did a temp foster for a few days when we were back in Houston renewing our visas for Libya. It was SO much fun, and so rewarding. And I was thrilled to find out that "our" temp boy got adopted into a premanent home very shortlay afterwards. Now Mark has relented a bit and said that in a few years when we move back to the US and have a house with a bigger yard, he'd consider taking in an occasional foster.
    Toby and Chamois say: GO STEELERS!
    [[IMG][/IMG]

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I'm sure the right one will come along soon. I would love to foster as well some day but it will be a while. We're starting a family and Zeus isn't great with other dogs. Hopefully one day we'll have a more open house and bigger yard when the kids are a bit older we can give it a go.

Dani is offline Senior Member

Tanya, just say the word.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dani
    Tanya, just say the word.
    Dani - I'm ready anytime! It's more of an issue on how to get the dog here that could be problematic
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

MumtoEllie is offline Senior Member

I wished you lived in South FL. We always have at least one or two dogs in boarding due to lack of foster space...