I need reassurances..please..neutering Dakota
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need reassurances..please..neutering Dakota

DefaultI need reassurances..please..neutering Dakota

Ok..the time is drawing near..Dakota will be 1 year old on Friday, so it's neutering time..I am sooooo worried about it. For instance..leaving him there for the surgery (he's never been away from us)...worrying about the surgery..worrying if he will change after the surgery. He is such a great dog..affectionate..smart..and I'm scared poopless..something will change..or..he won't be ok during the surgery. Can someone lend me a shoulder..or some advice..or anything that will make me feel better?? Please!!
    All this from a woman who's had countless dogs neutered or spayed through the years!!!!
    Jackie

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

JeffG is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: I need reassurances..please..neutering Dakota

Ha I know what you mean...we had Ty neutered last summer. Like you, I was nervous..leaving him alone (overnight even)...him changing his sweet personality, etc.

Well, needless to say he came out just fine...acted like nothing had happened...licking all the workers...hopped in the car...and he's just as good as new (minus a few parts!)

I know I sound like such a wuss...but we are bonkers about this dog..if I could..I would have more more more, but for now..it's Dakota and our older dog Kelly. Thank you for your reassurances..about our little chocolate lump. LOL
    Jackie

Quote Originally Posted by JeffG
    Ha I know what you mean...we had Ty neutered last summer. Like you, I was nervous..leaving him alone (overnight even)...him changing his sweet personality, etc.

Well, needless to say he came out just fine...acted like nothing had happened...licking all the workers...hopped in the car...and he's just as good as new (minus a few parts!)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bibber is offline Senior Member

I know just how you feel. I was a basket case when my boys got neutered, but all the worrying was a big waste of time. They were just fine, as I'm sure Dakota will be. No change in personality at all (except Bodie did stop humping Sam's bed every chance he got). Dakota will be up and at 'em the next day!

Brenda, Sam & Bodie

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

I was also worried about Scotty. He did really well with the surgery and did not seem to be in much pain at all (I know, they are very stoic). His personality has not changed except for mellowing out a bit as he got older. His focus is better during obedience competitions as he is not obsessed with females as much any more.

Thank you Brenda..I have been thru this before..but NEVER felt this way all the other times...I guess it's because he is really really special to us..not that my other dogs were not loved..they were, all of them, tears were shed every time we lost one..so maybe it's just my age has made me more of a worrier.
    Thanks for the reasurances... Jackie

Quote Originally Posted by bibber
    I know just how you feel. I was a basket case when my boys got neutered, but all the worrying was a big waste of time. They were just fine, as I'm sure Dakota will be. No change in personality at all (except Bodie did stop humping Sam's bed every chance he got). Dakota will be up and at 'em the next day!

pj

i know exactly how you feel, i was a basket case with theo. and actually i'll be worrying again in a few months as dexter will be neutered in the spring, ugh.
    with theo however, he was fine, he was up and about the next day.
    no changes in personality here either, still the most loving, sweet, affectionate boy he was before!

i'm sure he'll be just fine and we'll all be here for you and dakota!

PJ..thanks so much..I guess it's normal..and we'll be here for you and Dexter. It's like making a will, you just keep putting it off so..I just have to make that damn phone call to the vets office. Probably next week..I want him intact for his 1st birthday..my SU is in mourning for Dakota's impending..tool removal. LOL Jackie

Quote Originally Posted by pj
    i know exactly how you feel, i was a basket case with theo. and actually i'll be worrying again in a few months as dexter will be neutered in the spring, ugh.
    with theo however, he was fine, he was up and about the next day.
    no changes in personality here either, still the most loving, sweet, affectionate boy he was before!

i'm sure he'll be just fine and we'll all be here for you and dakota!

Gene Guest

I should have had Merlot neutered, But I just couldn't do it to him. He is the most affectionate dog I ever had. Just wants to cuddle, kiss, or sleep, has perfect recall, doesn't hump anything, and loves EVERYBODY ! I just didn't want to change anything. He is two, now and still has his jewels

Gene..what do you do about worrying about him trying to run away if there is a female in heat in the neighborhood? Or taking him around other dogs that may be females in heat? Just curious, because one of my pro-neutering fears is Dakota will scent a neighborhood female that hasn't been spayed and jump a fence to find her.
    Jackie

Quote Originally Posted by Gene
    I should have had Merlot neutered, But I just couldn't do it to him. He is the most affectionate dog I ever had. Just wants to cuddle, kiss, or sleep, has perfect recall, doesn't hump anything, and loves EVERYBODY ! I just didn't want to change anything. He is two, now and still has his jewels

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast