When do you put the crate away for good, or do you leave it, just in case....?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When do you put the crate away for good, or do you leave it, just in case....?

Gene Guest

DefaultWhen do you put the crate away for good, or do you leave it, just in case....?

It's been two years, and DW would like to have her living room back. The dogs haven't been crated for 3 months, now. Even when we are working they have had the run of the house with no problems. Yes, I have to keep the trash can in the closet, nothing on the counters, and TV remote on top of the fridge. Is it safe to put the crates away for good? Merlot just turned two and Zoey will be two in 10 days. As you can see we have a small living room, and the two crates are quite large.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: When do you put the crate away for good, or do you leave it, just in case....?

Well, (knock on wood) I'd say it's safe, but, I also thought that, put it away, and Abby ate the couch 3 months after that. Out came the crate again, then over summer we didn't have to crate her as someone was always home, so we put it away, and (knocks wood again) all's been well so far.

I think Gene, it might be safe to stow them.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

DefaultRe: When do you put the crate away for good, or do you leave it, just in case....?

I keep my two crates out to keep the boys from "assisting" the occasional cleaning person or repairman.
    Beside, Where would I put all of the dog stuff I have piled on top of their crates?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: When do you put the crate away for good, or do you leave it, just in case...

If you haven't been crating them, and they haven't been voluntarily using the open crates as their private space, i would put them away.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Labs4life is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: When do you put the crate away for good, or do you leave it, just in case...

I think you're OK to put them away. My Daisy liked to sleep in her crate with door open occasionally,so I put a dog bed in it's place. Maggie likes to sleep upstairs during the day. Neither of them miss their crates and I really like having the room back.
    The Constitution is suppose to guarantee everyone the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but the Constitution does not guarantee everyone equal outcomes.
    Some people are more talented, educated, thieving and dishonest than others.

Nellie was major destructo dog until she turned 2 (ate both box springs on my king size bed, ate a cushion off the sofa, chewed on kitchen chairs and verticle blinds). Her huge crate was in the middle of my living room. From 2 to 2 1/2 I baby gated her in my kitchen when I went out. Last April, thinking I would be moving in several months I donated both my crates to Lab Rescue here in Maryland.

If they don't lay in them I would say it's fine to put them up but don't get rid of them just yet incase they relapse.
    I like having one set up incase I have a repair person at the house or something since Mocha's not real fond of strange people in the house. Also Zeus likes to sleep in his so I had left it up but I finally replaced it with a bed for him and he's just been sleeping on the bed.

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Endofile
    If you haven't been crating them, and they haven't been voluntarily using the open crates as their private space, i would put them away.
    This was our situation; we had 2 crates, one in the family room (she never used it); one in the bedroom (which she did use only for sleeping).

We immediately put away the family room crate (sold it); and I believe she was about 2 or 3 when the bedroom crate got folded and is now in our closet. I won't sell this one, just in case we have an emergency and we have to evacuate the house. Good luck w/Merlot & Zoey.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I would say it is safe to put it away. Don't get rid of them. If they haven't used it in ages then they are fine. Kassa didn't need the crate by 18 months.

Crates are a PITA. They take up so much space and end up with everyone putting clutter on top of them.
    Erns still has his. Not a week goes by when he doesn't need crate time so ours isn't going any time soon.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

We've moved the crate from the kitchen to a bedroom - Bailey only uses it to sleep & we're still weaning her out of it while we're out. I here your DW on getting her livingroom back, that's why we've moved Bailey's to a bedroom so I could get my already on the small-side kitchen back!!
    I'd keep them just in case either way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast