Do you let your dogs outside by themselves?
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you let your dogs outside by themselves?

DefaultDo you let your dogs outside by themselves?

Jonah seems to have so much fun exploring the backyard, but I am always out there with him. I'm wondering if others let theirs play outside by themselves. Yard has 6 foot wooden fence all around. I am at the dead end of a street and would see a car pull up or someone open the gate so theft isn't a possibility. Mostly when he is out he's laying down chewing on either the coconuts or banana tree leaves. I'm wondering how much supervision everyone else gives? Hubby says let him out and enjoy being a dog exploring, foraging, etc. I'm not sure I'm ready to do that, but I'm wondering if I'm being a paranoid doggy mommy....

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Do you let your dogs outside by themselves?

someone is always out w/Zoe. While I trust her, and we don't have to worry about theft, I do worry about bees, of which she is severely allergic. We also have centipedes.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

k8show is offline Senior Member

Boo plays outside by himself (we have a yard enclosed w/ a privacy fence). I check on him every 5 or 10 minutes though. Like a kid, when he's being quiet, I assume he's up to no good. And he doesn't stay outside when no one is home.
    When he was younger, someone was always out with him.

Edited to add that we live at the end of a cul de sac so it's pretty quiet....heck, we even leave our back and side window curtains open when we're changing....sorry, TMI. :-[
    Katie and Boo

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

No, but I am totally the paranoid dog-mom. :-[

I worry about theft, but primarily, about what Baloo would get into out there. He doesn't discriminate about what he puts in his mouth, and yet he has a super sensitive tummy. :

Also, my backyard backs onto an area where people walk by all the time. I know of at least one lady who goes around throwing dog cookies into all the backyards that dogs are in. I have had to stop her from throwing stuff into our backyard on a couple different occasions. She means well, but still. And if someone didn't mean well, and threw rat poison or something..... *shudder*

I'm totally in the "better safe than sorry" camp. :-\
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

When I had a fenced yard I'd let Billie out alone and I'd check on her. We also let Billie and Lacey play out in the yard together and checked on them about every 10 minutes or so. I wouldn't have done that if she were a younger dog though. I had a yard that no one else could get into or anywhere near so I felt safe doing that.

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

Lucy will not go out in the back fenced in yard alone or with Cricket, even if I wanted her to.
    Once in a blue moon (or a sunny day) she will sit outside and sun herself without me being outside with her but it is only for about 15 minutes. She wants to be inside with me. Sometimes I will go outside and read my book and bring her out with me. She stands at the door and moans to be let in. She is such a baby!
    Cricket on the other hand wants to be outside. She spends several hours a day outside. I check on her every 20-30 minutes. She likes to watch the birds, squirrels and chipmunks and be "on guard". Often she sits right outside the kitchen on the porch and sleeps until there is a reason to bark. That is just her way...what she likes to do. I would never leave her alone in the yard when I wasn't home.

My yard is right on a fairly busy state highway. This may sound crazy, but I let Pete out alone to potty and I don't have any sort of fencing. Nothing is for certain, but I trust him and I'm 99.9% sure he won't go toward that road. He won't even walk to it when I do. He stays exactly at the spot that he knows he can't go past. And when he goes out to do his business he comes straight back to be let in. I do peak out the window if he takes more then a couple minutes, but that is only when he's having some problems getting it out.

Samson is offline Senior Member

i WOULDN'T TAKE ANY CHANCES

i'M PARANOID TOO

Beachboys is offline Senior Member

I did at one point. However I learned the hard way that he can not be trusted. I thought I had a yard that would be next to impossible to break out of. I was wrong.

We allowed him out one day and I had always checked on him. Well one day when I went to check he was gone. I freak out and run in to tell Jerome. He goes outside and starts calling for him. He finds Mambo sitting in a truck with a bunch of guys eating chinese food. I swear they would have taken him home if we had not found him.

So he no longer gets to play outside himself.

Labs4life is offline Senior Member

Maggie and Daisy are out by themselves regularly. If we're in the house we check on them through the kitchen windows. If I'm in the garage, they come to the mudroom from the backyard and check on me! My neighbor will also let them out if were running late and call him. He stays with them and lets them back in. We don't leave them out unless someone is home.
    The Constitution is suppose to guarantee everyone the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but the Constitution does not guarantee everyone equal outcomes.
    Some people are more talented, educated, thieving and dishonest than others.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast