Actions that scare our dogs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Actions that scare our dogs

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultActions that scare our dogs

jzgrlduff's story about the walker and Frankie's reaction all the sudden to his collar got me thinking. When I play fetch with Tal outside I use the chuckit thrower...and even when I don't my arm goes over my head. It occured to me that when Tal sees that he has this gleeful look on his face and tail just wagging. He knows it means something fun.

Sadly, too many dogs know that when a hand goes up they are about to get smacked. Gives me chills. I am totally baffled as to why anyone would want to change a happy, playful dog into a cowering in fear dog.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kathy5475 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Actions that scare our dogs

Yes, that is very sad. There was a news blip locally about a young boxer boy who was taken from the owners or found (can't remember which), who was burned and beaten. A family took interest in the poor boy and contributed the funds for his multiple surgeries. It's been about a year, and the couple has just taken him home with them, where he can now get the loving family he deserves. I don't know these people, but I want to say THANK YOU for saving him, there is a special place in heaven for people like them, and also many here on this board.

I have no clue what happens after our life here on earth is done and I may be blasted for this thought, but if the old saying "what comes around goes around" is true, they just may come back as their own dog.

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

We've tested Zoe's reaction to the hand raise. nada.
    I even move my hand very close and fast to her face as if I was going to hit her. nada

the action that scares her the most is when I take the ironing board out of the closet. ??? ??? She runs to her bed. And stays there until I release her. I don't recall ever doing anything w/that ironing board. She had this behavior since a pup.

If the board is folded in the closet, she is fine. If it's folded against a wall, again, fine.

SU thinks I may have told her "hot" when she was a puppy. She knows the word "hot." I have never held an iron near her. go figure.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

HK will always duck under or avoid a hand coming to pet her head, even mine and DWs. I have never struck her and she has been this way from the day we brought her home. If we go for her rump, chest, or under her mouth, she doesn't do this and moves into the attention. I can bring my hand under to her throat, and then around to the top of her head and she is fine. I don't think it is fear, but don't know why she is this way.

A bg buck standing in the front lawn when we are outside in the dark! That scares HK. She barks ( a real deep one) and jumps backwards. This will repeat several times until the deer takes off.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

patm is offline Senior Member

Skippy is scared of the sound of a 22 rifle and electric fences - that's about it for him. Emilu is scared or suspicious of many things. Vacuume cleaners, any spray bottle, the dog that looks back at her through the door (her reflection!) strange shadows and things she can't identify ( I sometimes think her eyesight is bad), anytime she thinks I might be going to "do something" to her - clean ears, brush teeth, etc. she runs and hides on her bed.She is so full of quirks it's amazing that she sparkles at dog shows (unless she sees something "wierd" happen in the ring and then she is scared of the ring!

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

Lucy hates hates when we bring out the cutting board and chop veggies. She hides under the table.
    We always joke that we will "chop her up and make us some "puppy parmesean"

she doesn't think it is funny.

we don't know why this bothers her so unless it hurts her ears... ????

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

I'm laughing, but not so laughing here.

Mine are like your Tal, Guy. They see my arm go up and they know there's a tennisball retrieve session coming up! They see dad's arm go up? INDOOR RETRIEVES! YIPPEE! Doesn't matter if we're just raising our hand to indicate "Wait, I have something to say here!"... That movement means "play".

I can't think of a single word, movement, or tone of voice that has ever given ANY of our dogs reason to cower. Sit back and comply, yes... cower... never.

Oh... that includes the 3 rescues we have. Scamp thinks a raised arm means "Mommy's lap is free! I get dibs!"

Seamus and Flynn

georgie is offline Senior Member

My girls are not afraid of hands over their head. Molly finally knows no one is going to hit her. But Molly runs when I bring the vacum out. Abby isn't bothered by that, but occasionally she will back up when I rustle tissue paper from a package. Go figure. :

Molly does not like if anyone raises their voice & yells.

Merlot_1 Guest

No fear of hands in this house. A loud fart sends them running for cover, though ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Merlot_1
    No fear of hands in this house. A loud fart sends them running for cover, though ;D

Shelby isn't hand shy ... but she can be afraid of things that are of place. Last winter my neighbors covered some of their trees in material to protect them. The trees are right near our fence line and she was pretty freaked by that ... barking, shaking, and ever so s-l-o-w-l-y creeping up to check them out. Shelby is also not too fond of the vacuum, but the blow dryer -- well she loves to put her face right up to that and bite the air. :

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast