Meeting people (just a little rant)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meeting people (just a little rant)

Callaway is offline Senior Member

DefaultMeeting people (just a little rant)

What does your pup do when someone comes to your house? Whenever Bogey catches wind of anyone new he goes bizerk! Of course he tries to jump and he does this "I cant wait to meet you" whiney noise hes done since we brought him home. I think its hilarious! After about 10 mins or so he will calm and go lay down. My dad( who has met the dog on numerous occasions) on the other hand is convinced that my dog is crazy and that Bogey hates him. Um hello..... hes 6 months old what do you expect! Oh no he doesnt like me! Hence the whiney thing I think he thought he was growling. I tell everyone to just ignore him when they first get here (do you think they listen) and I try to make him sit( it only lasts seconds) but again hes a pup he cant help himself! I know what I have to do to train him but trying to get some one to give up a few afternoons is like pulling teeth around here! OK I feel better thanks for listening.

Courtney, Bogey and Calli

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Meeting people (just a little rant)

Oh Lord. I have seven dogs ranging in age from 11 years to 4 years.
    It doesn't matter who enters that front door... me, dad, friend, foe, spirit, squirrel, rabbit, bird. They are going to go happily ballistic for the first 15 minutes so visitors just better get used to it.

After that 15 minutes of gleeful welcome? All lap dogs. Every last one of them.

It's just the way we live here.

Seamus and Flynn

Yep...they think everyone has come to see THEM. I've learned a trick, though. When someone rings the doorbell...I say "who's at the door"...they all run to the front door and I go out the garage door and greet my guests! Trickey mom, I am!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jonah gets overly excited, tries to jump, lick them to death, etc. With a few friends we have gone through the whole "don't pet until calm, have dog on leash, walk back outside until calm" stuff. Guess what....the next time that same friend comes over, he does the whole excited routine. I am now just telling people that are coming over to tell him "off" and not let him jump, but as far as getting excited, that's going to happen for about 5 - 10 minutes. Jonah does that excited whine as well.

patm is offline Senior Member

2 happy idiots here too. They don't jump on people, but they rush the door and mob anyone who is standing on the other side. They know most of the people who come to our house, but I realize that they greet strangers every bit as "enthusiastically". :-\

my2labs is offline Senior Member

cinder has gotten into the habit of going and hiding in the bedroom when someone comes over and we can't figure out why. abbey forgets that the floor is slippery and walks like a queen on it to greet whoever has shown up. any other time, we have towels and rugs all over the place for her to walk on. it's the weirdest thing.

Sam 9-27-07

Mojo 7-6-12

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Tal greets anyone the same way....he will run to them and is getting better about not jumping up on them. Anyone comes over here better be prepared to have a happy dog around for a few minutes if their visit.

reminds me of when some friends came over when I lived in Memphis. One of them ordered me to put Tal away because he didn't like being around dogs. My response? Um, he lives here...it's his house too. No one is forcing you to stay. Thing is I would have put Tal on his leash if the guys had asked a little nicer.

Sams Mom is offline Senior Member

Normal lab behaviour. That's what they do. Sam still does it. Especially if the people are new or she hasn't seen them in a while. We put her haltie on before people come over. Calms her right down.

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

My guys do the happy-puppy dance with full-on panting, hopping, and wiggle-butts. I occasionally wish they were a bit calmer, but they're still only just-over 1 and not-quite 2 years old. They do know that there is ABSOLUTELY no jumping on people, though, so I figure I've made some progress. And besides, I like seeing them so happy about everything in life, including visitors. If we have someone over who I know doesn't like them or is afraid of them, I make sure to put them in "their" room... but those are people who are never over for long. Most of our guests know if they visit us, they visit the dogs.
    Toby and Chamois say: GO STEELERS!
    [[IMG][/IMG]

Merlot_1 Guest

Merlot and Zoey tend to jump up on some people, but they are selective. They won't jump on my little grandkids or my 83 year old mother. But if it is a big healthy person that greets them, it's paws on their shoulders and a tongue on their face, and that's ONLY if said person calls them over to them. I never trained them to do this, or not to do it, they just seem to sense who they can jump on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast