Not sure what to think about this
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Not sure what to think about this

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

DefaultNot sure what to think about this

I still use a prong collar on Frankie when I walk him. I have to or else he'll drag my a$$ down the street. I use it properly and he heels like a million bucks, prancing at my side. That's not my point though.
    My dog walker lady also uses the prong on occasion. It seems like she switches from the prong to the martingale, I'm not sure what judgement she uses to decide what he's getting on any given day. I never thought it an issue, since she's a "dog expert".

The last couple of weeks when I go to put the collar on Frank, he backs away and puts his ears back. He'll hop around the room, trying to avoid it. He does let me put it on when I assure him it's OK, but he's still reluctant. Yesterday though, was a different story. I got the collar on him and my husband went to scratch his butt to give him a "good boy" and he tucked it waaaay underneath as if he was going to get hit. So then I tried it and he did the same thing to me. :'( We have never laid a hand on either of the dogs. EVER. I gave Frankie a scruff shake when he was a pup, but that's it. So now I'm thinking right away that she's hitting him with the collar on. > :'( Why else would he act like that?

I have to confront her, I suppose, but how? Come right out and ask if she's hitting my dogs? :-\

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Not sure what to think about this

Sorry that he's acting so fearful. I would just ask how he's been acting with her and maybe if he's been misbehaving while on walks. If she says yes ask what she does when he is bad.

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Oh boy, Amy. Don't confront her, exactly, but tell her just what you told us. Watch her reaction. That may tell you a whole lot more than asking her point-blank if she is "getting rough" with Frankie.

Seamus and Flynn

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Barb and Nance, thanks, that's what Paul said too. I can't "watch" her reaction though, as it would be over the phone.

I wish I had a Nanny cam.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Since it's over the phone, I wonder if you could just ask her if Frankie requires any correction on his walks. See how she replies.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

Karolyn is offline Senior Member

That is terrible, poor thing. I agree though there must be something if all of a sudden he is acting fearful.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

It could be something totally unrelated, too. Buddy gets fearful of things for no explainable reason, because of something he imagines or thinks he saw. He is still afraid of the front yard because he got stung by a wasp in early summer. Some days, he'll bounce right out there, but most days he acts like we're forcing him to walk on cut glass or hot coals to step out on the grass. :
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I put a second collar on HK when i take her out before dawn or after dusk, an LED lit collar so that I can see her.

About three weeks ago, she started running from me when I brought it out and cowering when i got her to sit for it to be put on. Never attached any lead to it, never hurt her in any way with it. This went on for about two weeks, and then stopped. I guess I shold have hired a dog communicator to ask her what the issue wa s.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I would get a camera. Just borrow it from somewhere. Is there anyway you could stay home from work one day and stage something?

For example, stay home from work so that you're there when she comes over. Tell her that she should really probably use the prong today, because he was really energetic when you took him out this morning. So when she goes to put it on him (and you can observe HOW she does this), ask her why she thinks he's acting the way he is. Tell her that you have noticed this behaviour a lot lately and you're wondering what might have caused it. ???

That way you can judge her reaction face to face without being confrontational. If she gets defensive, that's a tell-tale sign that something's up. :-\
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Amy, Billie cowers away from her prong too. No discernable reason. heck she fights me on the flat buckle I've started to use with the flexi. She doesn't back away as much but still...

I agree, ask the lady how he's been doing on his walks...see what she says. Ask her how he's been reacting to the collar when she puts it on. If she is alternating maybe he's been fighting her too, and she should just go with the martingale full time so she doesn't have to "force" the prong on him?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast