About to get a dog
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: About to get a dog

DefaultAbout to get a dog

This is my first post on this forum. So here is my story.... I've wanted to get a dog of my own since I moved out of my parents house 7 years ago. Only problem was I was renting and my landlord wouldn't allow dogs. But recently things have changed. I bought my own house, so now I can do anything I want! I live in Minnesota, and winters coming and I don't want to train a dog in the snow and cold, so right now I'm thinking sometime around spring 08.

A friend of mine has an awesome dog that I've always liked. They got him at a shelter, so they don't know exactly what breed he is, but they said they think he is a Labrador Retriever. He looks like a black lab, but he's slightly smaller, and skinny.

Up until today I always thought a Labrador Retriever was a Lab and a Golden Retriever mixed. But from the research I've done online tonight it appears as if all Labs are called Labrador Retrievers. Am I wrong. Can somebody clear this up for me?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: About to get a dog

Hey! Congrats on considering a Lab!

They are great dogs, I have two! I will try to answer a little for you. I am not a breeder, hopefully some of the breeders on the forum will add on to what I can offer.

Labrador Retrievers are not mixed with Goldens Retrievers. Labs have shorter hair and come in 3 colors -Black, Yellow and Chocolate. Labs are high energy. They need lots of training and exercise. They are very smart and kind. I will say sometimes too smart for their own good. My 2 get themselves into some funny situations because they are so smart. ;D

Labs can range in size. If you check out recent topics on this board you will find some discussions on sizes and weights. I happen to have a female at 75lbs and a 11 month old male at 91 lbs. I have 2 on the large side of the spectrum.

There are also Field Bred Labs and Bench Bred Labs. I will have to leave the explanation of these differences to another member who is more qualified than I to explain this.

I would suggest doing lots of research to be sure that a Labrador Retriever is best suited to you, as with any breed. You might also consider checking out a local Labrador Rescue. Good Luck and I hope you find exactly what you are looking for. Stick around this forum and you will learn lots! There are many things to consider when looking for a dog, you will find lots of good advice here!

Thank you for the good info Choco4me. But I am still unclear as to wether a Lab and a Labrador Retriever are the same thing.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

fburke is offline Senior Member

A Labrador Retriever is a totally separate breed from Golden Retriever.

You will find most of us here are lab bias but I sure some of the member have had experience with Golden’s and can tell you the pros and cons between the two.

There is plenty to learn and this board is a great resource for it. We are real people and real owners so feel free to ask any question you want or browse the posts.

Pros about labs.

Great all around dogs. Great with other animals and especially children. If your looking for a watch dog not a good choice. Very smart and can be trained with plenty of patience. Easy maintenance as far as grooming. People dogs don’t plan on leaving out side by them selves.

Cons

Need plenty of exercise
    Very energetic
    Even though short hair they do shed plenty.

Because there smart they have a tendency to be destructive if they get board tire them out and you will have a happy dog.

They will always be up your butt like a growth so get use to it….

Welcome to the board!

Quote Originally Posted by fburke
    They will always be up your butt like a growth so get use to it….

Welcome to the board!
    I LOVE IT! That is so true! Yes Lab is Labrador Retriever. Has Nothing to do with Golden Retriever.

Congrats on your decison. I have a lab/golden, but she's mixed. At least that's what the animal shelter told us she was. I don't think you'll regret a lab. They are wonderful companions.

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

There are a ton of "retriever" breeds, but they are all different breeds from one another- NOT mixes. That means you can have a flat-coated retriever, a golden retriever, a labrador retriever, a curly-coated retriever, etc. etc. etc....even a Novia Scotia duck tolling retriever (aka "Toller").

The term "retriever" describes *what* these breeds were originally bred to do- retrieve game during a hunt, etc.. It has nothing to do with being mixed with any other breed...in fact, the original golden retrievers were bred to do more upland game type hunting (like pheasant, chukkar, etc.) which explains the differences in their conformation standard when compared with that of the labrador retriever, who was originally bred to retrieve stray fish/nets for fishermen in Newfoundland and went on to become mostly waterfowl retrievers (like ducks- thus, meant to do a lot more swimming than the original golden retrievers).

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Ok, thanks for clearing that up. I've been looking at the classifieds lately for dogs, and some are labeled "Labs" and others are labeled "Labrador Retrievers" I always assumed they were two different breeds. Now I can start shopping around. Thanks to everybody who responded.

Dani is offline Senior Member

Stay away from the classified ads....

welcome to the boards.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Scoper50, Where in MN are you? If you are looking for a purebred pup, there are breeders around for you to investigate. If you are not set on a pup, this is a good place to look for a Lab to rescue. If you decide on a Golden Retriever, similar options exist.

Regarding a new pup and training, if it were me I would wait to receive a pup until March when the snow is gone and you aren't going to mind going outside 10-20 times a day. If you are living alone, the pup will probably appreciate a visit mid day for a potty break, so a trip home for lunch without spring snow is also a consideration on timing.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast