Zoe, Family Cemetery, and a Cow

Thread: Zoe, Family Cemetery, and a Cow

zgirls is offline Senior Member

DefaultZoe, Family Cemetery, and a Cow

My DAR chapter has taken on a family cemetery up in the mountains. A week ago Saturday we went to check it out. Of course, we took Zoe with us; Zeb stayed home with the hubby doing manly man things. The cemetery is located in a lovely pine grove and covered with periwinkle surrounded by a fence. A dairy farm is right beside it.

We had to climb a small incline to get there with Zoe faithfully keeping up with the ladies. We unlatched the gate and began to wander through looking at the old headstones dating back to the early 1800's . As we were exclaiming over this and that headstone, Miss Zoe Mae went into a magnificent point! And what creature brought out this reaction in her, you might ask! A cow! Sitting on the other side of the fence chewing its cud was a cow.

Well, you would have thought Zoe had discovered a covey of quail. She was quivering with excitement. She held her point and would turn her head looking at me as if to say, " Can we just go over and rub noses. Come on , Mom, I have never seen anything like it before in all my life!" She was most disappointed with me when I told her to stay. The cow meanwhile was not at all impressed with her point. But my ladies loved it! They were howling at the look on her face.

Below is a photo of us in front of one of the tombstones. The folks buried in this graveyard descend from Patriot George Goodykoontz. My husband happens to be a descendant. His family is so happy we are going to begin caring for the graveyard.

Lee
    Mother of Zoe Mae and Zeb AKA The Mess Pot

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Zoe, Family Cemetery, and a Cow

That is a nice picture, Lee. Also, that is a very nice project you are undertaking.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

Being a student of history, I think you are doing a wonderful thing Lee. Good girl Zoe! No where in the labby handbook does it say you can't "point" a cow. ;D

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

hark67 is offline Senior Member

Wish you had gotten a picture of the "cow" pointer! She must have been so proud of herself for finding this treasure!!

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

pbc
    pbc is offline Senior Member

Lee, your description is great. At first I thought it said Zeb and the cow and I was thinking oh, oh what did the Mess Pot do now? But when I read Zoe I knew she was the perfect lady. Years ago, we had an interest in a horse farm with my aunt and uncle. There was a historical cemetery at the edge of the property. I was working on a degree in Social Work and did a paper on the cemetery. I researched the meaning of the symbols on the stones. Did a paper pencil tracing of each one along with a layout of the cemetery that opened in the middle of the paper. It was one of the most interesting things I have ever done. I still have that paper. The history is amazing. Wish there were more DAR groups around here doing what you did. Thanks for sharing.
    Guest poster - original forum July 2001. Member 2002. nbsc