Possible UTI? How do I tell?

Thread: Possible UTI? How do I tell?

JeffG is offline Senior Member

DefaultPossible UTI? How do I tell?

Hey all! Thanks so much for all the warm welcomes for Macie and the nice compliments on her! We're having a blast......except for.....

the joys of puppyhood...we forgot how nice it was for Ty to just automatically go potty when outside!

Anyways, refresh my memory...should outside be solely for restroom purposes for now? No playing? Should she go with Ty or alone? Right now, we're going outside after naps...drinking..eating..sleeping etc...and she'll go maybe 20% of the time. Alot of the time, after at least an hour outside..we'll come back inside and she'll pee on the floor within about 15 min.

Anyhow, to my question. This morning after she peed outside (yay) she came in and sat down on the tile looking up at me. When she got up...I noticed something she left on the tile. It was kinda yellow and little thick. She cleaned herself up after that and I Just wiped it off the floor...

Well tonight, we'd been outside for a long time and came back inside. I gave her some food (which is a whole other topic...she seems SO disinterested in food...she'll grab a mouthful and walk off..come back...grab a few kibbles..and very rarely eats everything). While she squatted to pee (on our palette next to the crate :) I gave a loud/stern "No!" and it startled her pretty good and she kinda ran out of teh room real fast. I set her outside in the yard and she didn't finish. I brought her back inside and while talking with my wife (while she was putting the comforter back in the washer), Macie was doing the patented lab/messy sit with her legs sprawled out and we saw quite a bit of a yellowish/green mucus on the inside of her leg kinda caught in the fur down to her stomach and around her genetalia.

I have no idea what a UTI looks like or what the symptoms are. Could this be it? Or is it something else? What sucks is we JUST came back from the vet today for her rabies shot and wellness check...

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Possible UTI? How do I tell?

It could be a UTI. When Abby had her UTI, she was peeing frequently. But because you said it was a yellowish/green mucus, it could be an infection of her vulva. I would give your vet a call & ask. Better to have them check it out.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Possible UTI? How do I tell?

Quote Originally Posted by georgie
    It could be a UTI. When Abby had her UTI, she was peeing frequently. But because you said it was a yellowish/green mucus, it could be an infection of her vulva. I would give your vet a call & ask. Better to have them check it out.
    Ditto! Hershey Kisses had the same symtoms and they treated it like a UTI. Cleared it up.

When HK was being housetrained, no play outside untila pee or poop. Then immediate and lots of praise, I gave her a treat also. Then I would play with her. She was basically trained in less than a week. We never had a poop inside to this date (10 months) except for one bout of diarhea (not her fault). However, after we had her basicallyhouse broken, occassionally when I was on the floor petting her while she sat next to me, she wold do a very small subtle lift of her back end and pee right there while I was petting her. Talk about frustrating. Anyway, I belive no play until pee or poop and lots of praise is a good method, not of my invention. Iwiould olso takeher out alone witohout the second dog until she is trained to p&p outside. I would probably bring the other dog outside after to play together.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.